We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Car policy

Options
Just wonderin if anyone can make this clear

OH and I are both fully comp on our 2 cars.
1 Does this mean that we can drive with consent anyone elses car and be insured?
2 If we are insured to drive other vehicles do we have to name each other on each others policy as a named driver?
3 If we go third party fire and theft on our own cars will we still be insured to drive other vehicles with consent??

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "Most" companies allow you to drive other peoples cars for third party only cover its called D.O.C or Driving Other Cars, this means it covers any damage you do to any one else or any one elses property but not the car you are driving.

You need to check with your Insurers as their are certian circumstances that companies do not give it eg if you work in the motor trade or are under a certain age which is normally 25.

Some companies also exclude you from driving under this extension your husband / wife or common law partners car.

You do not need to be a named driver on the other persons car you are driving but it is best to leave yourselves on each thers policies as you will be getting the same cover as the policyholder if you are a named driver eg comprehensive. In addition Insurers often give discounts if it is just spouses or common law spouses named on a policy so it if often more expensive if you delete your spouse / partner from the policy.

Some companies do include "Driving Other Cars" on TPF&T policies but a lot don't (TPF&T is often more expensive than comprehensive now days).

So check with your Insurers and they will confirm what you are covered for etc
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1) Most policies with fully comp will allow you to drive others vehicles with owners consent, but would need to check your policy wording, and you would only be covered for third party

2) Yes unless you only wanted to be covered for third party. Also you usually cannot use the "drive other vehicles" if you own said vehicles..

3) Highly unlikely, most likely not, as this does not usually apply on TPFT policies.

Crossed over post with dacouch
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• dacouch
    Options
    As derrick said the best advice is speak to your Insurers or Broker as they will be able to confirm exactly what cover you have
  • curlyfairy
    Options
    I thought it was only the Policy holder who could drive other cars and not the named driver?Maybe im wrong?My wife is our policy holder and can drive other cars but as im a named driver i cant.I always have to get put onto the other persons policy to be able to drive thier car.

Ben.
  • dacouch
    Options
    That is correct the Policy Holder is the person who can drive other cars subject to the insurers allowing them and certain policy conditions
    Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    gerad_way wrote: »
    Just wonderin if anyone can make this clear

OH and I are both fully comp on our 2 cars.
    1 Does this mean that we can drive with consent anyone elses car and be insured?
    2 If we are insured to drive other vehicles do we have to name each other on each others policy as a named driver?
    3 If we go third party fire and theft on our own cars will we still be insured to drive other vehicles with consent??
    Forgive my nosiness, but why do you want these questions answered?
  • gerad_way
    gerad_way Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am due to renew my car insurance. We currently have a multi car policy and was just wondering how to save a bit of money. Have tried talking to insurer but am not getting any answers, they just want me to renew. Also I am trying to get the premium down as I have a 17 year old that needs insurance also, and it looks like I will have to take out a secong mortgage.
    Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    Most policies operate an insured and spouse discount, so removing either of you from either of your policies wouldn't make an enormous amount of difference.

To be honest I was just about to ask why you wanted TPFT cover and recommend against it, but since you only want to cheapen your insurance, like a lot of people do, I realise there's not much point in discussing this with you.

All the best.
  • tobiascurious
    Options
    derrick wrote: »
    3) Highly unlikely, most likely not, as this does not usually apply on TPFT policies.
    In my experience it makes little difference whether the insurance is comp or TPFT

The age of the policyholder is more important. I think many insurers will give DOC to every customer providing they are over a certain age. You need to read the insurance documents to check the restrictions though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport