We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

problems with insurance claim

Options
Hope someone can help me

Made insurance claim for damage to my kitchen worktop,unit and doors due to water going between the back of my worktop and tiles from my sink tap
got the two quotes that they requested posted them off to the insurance company.

Received phone call that loss asseser was coming out to check damage to the kitchen and was told that because the damage was graduall that they wont pay out.

I thought that because i had not noticed the damage unit the day before i claimed that it would have been classed as an accident because i didnt know it was happening and would be covered under my building accidental cover policy

can anyone give any advice as im sitting with a damaged kitchen with no way of fixing it

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It may be covered under Accidental Damage if you have this cover.

Which Insurer are you with (I'm guessing MMA or Halifax)? How much are the repairs to the work top? Any ideas who long its been leaking and what has caused the leak?
  • yvonnereid
    Options
    my insurer is paymentshield the quotes that ive been given to repair is £2500 this is to remove the worktop,unit,doors and the wall units and also to remove the wall tiles so that the wall can be treated for damp and then putting everything back i only noticed the damage to the worktop the day before i made claim

I have just phone my insurance company as i,ve spent most of the afternoon looking at some web sites which i said that if the damage/leakage was gradual but unknown then my insurance should pay out but after saying this to them they are still sticking to the exclusions on my policy
  • krystal-divination
    Options
    it will go down as gradually caused most likely

it can't be accidental damage as that is something that instantly happens by mistake that causes sudden damage

i am wondering how big your kitchen is as £2500 is a lot for a repair
    i manager to have a new kitchen fitted for £3500

hope you get a good outcome how ever it turns out
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, good old payment shield. The policy no insurer will touch- its been shifted around so many different underwriters each year. As it is always moving, the claims departments are always really harsh in dealing with claims under it.

Onto the claim itself, the claim should not be covered under AD- because it isnt.

The claim should be covered under EOW- if you cannot see the damage then the insurer should not rely on this exclusion. Ask to make a formal complaint and go down that route.
  • yvonnereid
    Options
    thanks will phone insurers again tomorrow

what does eow mean as i,m new to this
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Options
    Escape of Water.
  • yvonnereid
    Options
    thanks very much
  • yvonnereid
    Options
    just checked my policy book and found that its covered under buildings cover section b2g escape of water from any fixed domestic water or heating installation

thanks for your help
  • yvonnereid
    Options
    telephone my insurance company today and have said that i am still not covered as they said they said that is still comes under gradual damage because the escape of water was still not a sudden incident but gradual even though i didnt notice the damage was being done

so looks like that the end of my claim
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Options
    Write an "Executive Complaint" to the CEO, it will explain how to make a complaint in your policy booklet under "How to complain" advise them if you do not get satisifaction you will esculate to the Financial Ombusdman.

If you do not get satisfaction then take it to the Financial Ombudsman (Details of how to contact him are also in your policy under how to complain.

The ombudsman tends to err on the side of the customer so it is worth trying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport