We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Re-Mortgage - Bad credit history

135

Comments

  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    koexelek wrote: »
    Which is completely insane and irrational :confused: I don't want to cast allegations, but I am wondering if the broker has not made the OP aware this is an option, in order than he can sign up a sub prime remortgage with Platform instead ?


    Presuming the adviser completed a Fact Find to allow them to make a recommendation, they're probably more privvy to information than what is posted on a public forum
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    feisty1 wrote: »
    Presuming the adviser completed a Fact Find to allow them to make a recommendation, they're probably more privvy to information than what is posted on a public forum


    The only viable reason I could think of for switching from Woolwich to Platform if it was not forced would be if the OP needed to borrow more money.
    I'd certainly like to see the suitability letter where the adviser advises the borrower to remortgage elsewhere so that they can pay a higher rate
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Fesity - we are coming from the same angle here, I am not having a dig.

    I think we are all agreed that the best thing to do is speak to Woolwich and see what they can offer, if anything better than the follow-on rate.

    The follow-on rate may not be their SVR but a BoE tracker so in the current climate that wins hands down.

    Not to mention all the other fees associated with moving to Platform on a higher rate!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Yes a re-mortgage. Current lender is the Woolwich/Barclays. I have an outstanding bank charge claim against Baclays for 8k.

    I have not asked them yet as i was relying on my advisor.

    Currently on standard rate.


    Why do you want/need to remortgage? this will help clarify your options

    I would have thought that the current Barclays deal is pretty good as it is why change?
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    herbiesjp wrote: »
    Fesity - we are coming from the same angle here, I am not having a dig. I think we are all agreed that the best thing to do is speak to Woolwich and see what they can offer, if anything better than the follow-on rate. The follow-on rate may not be their SVR but a BoE tracker so in the current climate that wins hands down. Not to mention all the other fees associated with moving to Platform on a higher rate!

    I think we have "selective" information here!!;)
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Fesity - Confused

    But let's wait for the OP to come back
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Generally, if one had arrears on a mortgage they would also have additional credit problems ie defaults late payments etc.........With most people the mortgage is the last liability they default on as they realise the implications, therefore they default on what they see as lesser importance first..........all of this is added to the assessment of risk by a current lender when considering whether they want to retain clients on new deals.........
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    In agreement with your generally

    But the follow-on rate is part of their current deal, so they should be allowed to roll onto that.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    that was never in dispute! where are you reading i suggested this?
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    herbiesjp wrote: »
    In agreement with your generally

    But the follow-on rate is part of their current deal, so they should be allowed to roll onto that.


    Exactly, the point we are all making is why would anyone want to go on a 7% plus deal, if they can go on the Woolwich svr :confused:

    We need the OP to get back on here and explain
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.