How much?!?!

Options
Snooze
Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
:eek:

Just had util bills in from Ebico for 25 Oct - 27 Jan period.

Elec - £94.12
Gas - £262.79 :eek:

And the worst part is that they're estimated reading and the gas estimate is about 200 units short of what it was actually was on that date, so a quick calculation means that the bill is actually £350 :eek: . On the plus side the elec is over-estimated by about £20 :cool: .

One could be forgiven for thinking I live in a mansion with a gas bill that big but it's only a 2 bed 1950s semi although in fairness I do have the GCH on 24/7 set at 21.5C as I like to be toasty :D .

I knew the gas bill was gonna be about £100 a month but that's a fair bit more than I was expecting. Anyone else got an expectedly high bill recently?

Rob
«1

Comments

  • E.ON_Company_Representative
    E.ON_Company_Representative Posts: 806 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

    I think that is a reasonable sized bill for both fuels over potentially the coldest darkest time of year. The gas central heating being on all day is going to cost a lot over a full quarter.

    I’d look at trying to reduce the time you have it turned on, for example off at bedtime and on again for when you get up will save you around 8 hours of use a day.

    If you have a room thermostat make sure it’s between 18 and 21 degrees as that’s when it’s most efficient. Again this little change will save money and you might not notice the difference in temperature.

    If you’re interested in lowering your bills, contact your supplier and make use of their energy efficiency departments for more advice on how much you appliances are using.

    Hope this is helpful.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

    I think that is a reasonable sized bill for both fuels over potentially the coldest darkest time of year. The gas central heating being on all day is going to cost a lot over a full quarter.

    I’d look at trying to reduce the time you have it turned on, for example off at bedtime and on again for when you get up will save you around 8 hours of use a day.


    I turn it down to 20C at night :) .

    If you have a room thermostat make sure it’s between 18 and 21 degrees as that’s when it’s most efficient. Again this little change will save money and you might not notice the difference in temperature.


    :eek: 18-21C ?! Are you mad?! Those temperatures are Baltic and I'd freeze to death. It'd be warmer outside :eek: .

    If you’re interested in lowering your bills, contact your supplier and make use of their energy efficiency departments for more advice on how much you appliances are using.

    Hope this is helpful.

    Rob :)
  • Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    Snooze wrote: »
    :eek:

    Just had util bills in from Ebico for 25 Oct - 27 Jan period.

    Elec - £94.12
    Gas - £262.79 :eek:

    And the worst part is that they're estimated reading and the gas estimate is about 200 units short of what it was actually was on that date, so a quick calculation means that the bill is actually £350 :eek: . On the plus side the elec is over-estimated by about £20 :cool: .

    One could be forgiven for thinking I live in a mansion with a gas bill that big but it's only a 2 bed 1950s semi although in fairness I do have the GCH on 24/7 set at 21.5C as I like to be toasty :D .

    I knew the gas bill was gonna be about £100 a month but that's a fair bit more than I was expecting. Anyone else got an expectedly high bill recently?

    Rob
    That's not too bad considering your GCH was on 24/7 (is that really neccesary?) and at 21.5 c.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you are up all night, why would you want to heat the house if everyone is in bed?

    There must be something else you'd rather spend the money on!
  • Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Magentasue wrote: »
    Unless you are up all night, why would you want to heat the house if everyone is in bed?

    There must be something else you'd rather spend the money on!

    There is always someone up and about in the house due to our work patterns - which are erratic to the say the least.

    Rob
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    Snooze wrote: »
    I do have the GCH on 24/7 set at 21.5C as I like to be toasty :D .
    :eek:

    Well you would freeze to death in my house. The living room is usually 13-15 degrees. I don't have a temperature gauge in the other rooms, but the kitchen is colder and the upstairs is warmer. We have the heating on 1.5 hours in the morning and the gas fire on for 2-3 hours in the evening (no radiator in living room).

    I have been warming the bedroom up before bed this week of course, and turned the dial from 15c to 20c.

    How do you not get too hot in bed with the heating on all night? Even in this weather I wake up in the night too hot. We do have 2 duvets plus a handmade quilt though :D
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Snooze wrote: »
    There is always someone up and about in the house due to our work patterns - which are erratic to the say the least.

    Rob

    All night? OK then - I can't see why you're surprised having a big bill. You must have known that gas prices have increased and that you use more than average? Looking at your post, you're just curious as to whether others have had high bills so I assume you're happy to pay what it costs to heat your house. Do you heat the whole house 24/7?
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's about the same as ours - £300 gas and £100 elec. Shocking but that's how much it is now. :o
    I'm sitting here with a hat on.
    His lordship keeps pushing the settee back against the radiator :rolleyes:
  • Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Magentasue wrote: »
    All night? OK then - I can't see why you're surprised having a big bill. You must have known that gas prices have increased and that you use more than average? Looking at your post, you're just curious as to whether others have had high bills so I assume you're happy to pay what it costs to heat your house. Do you heat the whole house 24/7?

    Well I'd kinda worked out some loose figures by going by last years readings and factored in the price increases and reckoned on about £100 for the leccy and £300 for the gas so it comes as a bit of shock when you open the envelope and see it being quite a bit over what you expected!

    I'm fortunate that I have a good income so that I can easily pay such big bills but if I am relatively shocked by a bill that I can easily pay, then I hate to think what it does to the poor souls that have to watch every penny and hence why I was asking if anyone else had had any unexpected shocks like that themselves.

    As for heating the whole house, yes, but the bedroom rads are set for about 18-19C as I like it slightly cooler when I'm in bed. The rest of the house is set at 21.5C although there's no heat in the kitchen and it's Baltic in there most of the time unless someone's used the oven.

    To LittleMissAspie, those temps are dangerously low and you risk hypothermia. Do you have them that low out of choice or simply because you can't afford to pay the bills?

    Rob
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    Saving for a mortgage. The living room doesn't heat up past 15c until the fire has been on for 2-3 hours, by which time it's bedtime anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards