Support for Mortgage Interest Discussion Area

articlealert.gif

This threads specifically for discussing the Support for Mortgage Interest benefit, available to homeowners struggling to repay the mortgage.
Read the Support for Mortgage Interest section
of the full Mortgage Arrears Help Guide

Click reply to discuss this.

If you want to discuss a different aspect of mortgage arrears help, jump to the Homeowner Mortgage Support Scheme, Mortgage Rescue or General Mortgage Arrears Help threads.
MSE Web Editor, mainly responsible for looking after, and keeping up-to-date, ‘hard-core’ financial articles such as credit cards, savings and loans.

If you spot a rate change that we haven't already mentioned or added into articles or tips, Please send me a PM about it

Don't miss urgent MoneySaving, hear first by getting Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips

Replies

• This new support package is very good but there is quite some unfairness about who is eligible.

Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell said: "We have changed the rules to make sure even more people can get help with their mortgage payments if they lose their job. We have brought in changes as quickly as possible so people don't have to wait too long for this support. Every time someone loses their job it is a personal tragedy."

The scheme provides mortgage relief to those who are already receiving a means tested benefit, such as income support, pension credit or income-based jobseekers allowance.

The new lower time limit will be available to those who have already applied under the old rules.

This hasn't happened I was entitled to Mortgage Interest support from the 3rd January 2009 having waited 39 weeks and am only entitled to support of up to £100,000 mortgage interest. 2 DAYS later from 5th January 2009 the rules change so people who have been unemployed 13 weeks can have mortgage interest support up to £200,000. I have complained to the DWP but they say it's the rules which differs from their Minister's statement and it has to go to appeal which could take months.

I lost my job last April and accepted that the 39 week rule was in place. This means that effective from 3rd January 2009 I would be entitled to mortgage interest support. Since losing my job and claiming Job Seekers Allowance I have had to cash in part of my pension and borrow more money to continue to be able to pay my mortgage which you would agree is a priority. Cashing in part of my pension and getting further into debt has greatly affected me now and will do so in the future.

The fairest solution to me would be to compensate me back for the monies I have paid in mortgage interest for the last 26 weeks (this being the difference between 13 weeks and the 39 weeks). I can then use this to pay back some of the monies borrowed to pay my mortgage.
  • The government has recently changed the rules regarding payment of mortgage interest and has increased the amount of loan covered from £100,000 to £200,000. Am I right that for those who were claiming income support before the changes came in the new rate does not apply and that they are still limited to £100,000.
  • PW1

That's what I have been told and it seems grossly unfair. I have appealed the decision and now have to wait months possibly for the Appeals Tribunal to rule.
  • Hi. I have just joined and read about the mortgage help payable after you start signing on. Does anyone know if this is live yet and how to apply? I have just spoken to my mortgage lender and was told the decision hasnt been finalised yet?

Thanks

Mel
    This new support package is very good but there is quite some unfairness about who is eligible.

Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell said: "We have changed the rules to make sure even more people can get help with their mortgage payments if they lose their job. We have brought in changes as quickly as possible so people don't have to wait too long for this support. Every time someone loses their job it is a personal tragedy."

The scheme provides mortgage relief to those who are already receiving a means tested benefit, such as income support, pension credit or income-based jobseekers allowance.

The new lower time limit will be available to those who have already applied under the old rules.

This hasn't happened I was entitled to Mortgage Interest support from the 3rd January 2009 having waited 39 weeks and am only entitled to support of up to £100,000 mortgage interest. 2 DAYS later from 5th January 2009 the rules change so people who have been unemployed 13 weeks can have mortgage interest support up to £200,000. I have complained to the DWP but they say it's the rules which differs from their Minister's statement and it has to go to appeal which could take months.

I lost my job last April and accepted that the 39 week rule was in place. This means that effective from 3rd January 2009 I would be entitled to mortgage interest support. Since losing my job and claiming Job Seekers Allowance I have had to cash in part of my pension and borrow more money to continue to be able to pay my mortgage which you would agree is a priority. Cashing in part of my pension and getting further into debt has greatly affected me now and will do so in the future.

The fairest solution to me would be to compensate me back for the monies I have paid in mortgage interest for the last 26 weeks (this being the difference between 13 weeks and the 39 weeks). I can then use this to pay back some of the monies borrowed to pay my mortgage.
  • Hi. If my DH has no saving but I have £20k of savings and the mortgage is joint does that me that we would not be able to claim this?

Thanks
    January Grocery 11/374
  • daveymikedaveymike Forumite
    1 Post
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    pw1 wrote: »
    The government has recently changed the rules regarding payment of mortgage interest and has increased the amount of loan covered from £100,000 to £200,000. Am I right that for those who were claiming income support before the changes came in the new rate does not apply and that they are still limited to £100,000.

Yes - I've been getting help at the maximum £100,000 for nearly 2 years, on an interest-only mortgage of £200,000. Advice agencies I contacted agreed it unfair that current claimants are being discriminated against by not being eligible for the extra help. One suggested I write to my local MP - which I did and he is raising the issue with Sec. of State. Suggest you do the same. DWP have been known to change rules under pressure from advice agencies over anomolies in a piece of legislation.
  • What can I say.. I dont have Mortgage payment protection as I dont believe its worth the paper its printed and this is my personal opinion... and then I was made redundant from my job. Mortgage protection if I had it would cover the mortgage but not the rest of my bills so I got myself another job.... just to be finished up a few weeks later under the excuse of "you work is not up to standard" as they relocated to another part of the country employing cheaper foriegn labour so my morgage protection wouldnt be usable, however, with regards to the government help, I dont see why the government cant pay the mortgage. My mortgage is appox £430 a month which is a lot but not to much but in reality the government wont pay my mortgage, I get my house repossesed and then Im homeless and find a private landlord who charges me £550 a month rent and I pass that onto the government who say "yes thats fine we will pay that as your on benefits" Why dont the government say "well ok you have a 3 bedroom house and we will allow you £450 a month as if its the same as a private landlord" but if you have a mortgage of say £700 then the government should say "well were only prepared to pay £500 and the rest you have to pay for yourselves" and have a 12 month cap on this so no-one can buy a house for £300k and 'lose' thier job and make the government py the rest. This opinion should be useful, stop peoples houses being repossesed and help people back to work and not be abused by dodgy landlords upping the rent so the government pay it and stopping people from taking work as they wont be able to afford to sign of with thier £600 a month rent... would you. Give it some though!!!
  • We keep getting told that issues such as this are best discussed elsewhere.

So why has this thread landed on the benefits board ????

Incidentally, help with mortgage interest kicks in from Day One on Pension Credit, not from 13 weeks, despite what the main article says.
  • What can I say.. I dont have Mortgage payment protection as I dont believe its worth the paper its printed and this is my personal opinion... and then I was made redundant from my job. Mortgage protection if I had it would cover the mortgage but not the rest of my bills so I got myself another job.... just to be finished up a few weeks later under the excuse of "you work is not up to standard" as they relocated to another part of the country employing cheaper foriegn labour so my morgage protection wouldnt be usable, however, with regards to the government help, I dont see why the government cant pay the mortgage. My mortgage is appox £430 a month which is a lot but not to much but in reality the government wont pay my mortgage, I get my house repossesed and then Im homeless and find a private landlord who charges me £550 a month rent and I pass that onto the government who say "yes thats fine we will pay that as your on benefits" Why dont the government say "well ok you have a 3 bedroom house and we will allow you £450 a month as if its the same as a private landlord" but if you have a mortgage of say £700 then the government should say "well were only prepared to pay £500 and the rest you have to pay for yourselves" and have a 12 month cap on this so no-one can buy a house for £300k and 'lose' thier job and make the government py the rest. This opinion should be useful, stop peoples houses being repossesed and help people back to work and not be abused by dodgy landlords upping the rent so the government pay it and stopping people from taking work as they wont be able to afford to sign of with thier £600 a month rent... would you. Give it some though!!!

makes a lot of sense
    so you would be no good as a politician
    remember it is nice to be important
    but more important to be nice ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi. If my DH has no saving but I have £20k of savings and the mortgage is joint does that me that we would not be able to claim this?

Thanks
    yes,you are assessed as a couple,and means tested benefits cant be claimed if you have more than 16k in capital
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides