We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Life Since Your Degree?

1356

Comments

  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    I graduated 6 months ago from a FDA in Graphic Design. I feel my degree gave me the skills I needed to learn for this industry but I have quickly realised that no one cares that I got a 1st. They just want to know how long Ive been working in the industry.

    Luckily I have managed to get a job in the industry but within the company I was working part time at. Its only 12k a year and Its not wholey design work, BUT its a start and after a few years my portfolio will be looking healthier and I can look to move on.

    On a brighter note though I no longer live with parents and am buying my first house this year :)
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    I think you aren't comparing like for like. Without a degree, it can be impossible to EVER earn £20k/year. Ever.

    Not true.

    I have a degree and lots of GCSE's and a BTEC etc etc. I earn 12k a year currently.

    My boyfriend has one or two GCSE's and thats it. Hes on about 28k a year at the mo.
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • redmel1621 wrote: »
    My husband has also left a relatively good wage (IT Consultant) to follow his heart and pursue a Physics degree. I believe it is more important to be happy in a job you love than earn a bit of extra cash doing a job you will come to resent 30yrs down the line.

    And that, is what doing a degree means!!!!!

    Mel x

    I'm in the same position - about to leave a very well paid IT job to do a chemistry degree. I'm both following my heart, and being realistic enough to know that I can't get any other job outside my very narrow area of expertise without one.

    I'll be ecstatic if on graduation I get a job paying 25% of my current salary.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    It used to be, but now people leave owing thousands of pounds. No point borrowing 10 grand for a low paid job.

    If the job is low paid then you'll pay nothing back anyway, so does it really matter?
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    I think you aren't comparing like for like. Without a degree, it can be impossible to EVER earn £20k/year. Ever.

    Roughly speaking, the salary that a lot of graduates start on (once using their degree) is what somebody without a degree will EVER achieve.

    I have over 20 years' IT industry experience, 30 years' work experience, including office management, training etc. I have a bunch of good qualifications under my belt and £20k is most often unachievable because jobs at/above that seem to want a degree (even when it's not needed).

    In 10 years' time you'll probably be on the equivalent of £35k, yet I'll still be on under £20k.

    You have to look at lifetime earnings and potential, not just the first 3-4 years.

    Ask yourself, why in that 20 yrs have you never moved into management? Onwards and upwards...?

    If you feel a degree IS required in your industry, why haven't you embarked on a part time degree? Even with the OU, for example.

    I think you need to reassess your career path, you need to seek out jobs that you are qualified for. Or perhaps although a description says you need a degree, your 20+ years experience could replace that? Have you ever phoned any employers and asked?
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

    'I do my job, do you do yours?'

  • TDQO
    TDQO Posts: 807 Forumite
    I'm currently working in Australia... I chose to do a mining engineering degree because there I enjoy engineering type work but despise desk jobs... my degree is intensive on the maths and physics front but has a large proportion of practical modules. I didn't learn anything which wasn't directly applicable to working as a mining engineer and now I'm in Oz I've had 3 job offers since September!

    Salaries start at 22k in the UK and $90k AUD in australia (plus house + car etc)!! There is a world wide shortage and I have the option of working in almost any country on the planet in a massive variety of situations.

    The biggest factor for me though is that I honestly really enjoy the job. I love being underground and utilising machinery weighing in at thousands of tons, worth millions. Then there's the satisfaction of designing a blast pattern and seeing thousands of tons of rock disintegrate perfectly in front of you because of it.

    You really don't need a degree to be happy though, my sis didn't even get A levels but now she's an area manager for a retail chain and runs 15 stores and earns 40k with a car etc and she loves her job.
    The size of a glory hole in an open pit should not be greater than the cross-section of the haul trucks that dump into it. Otherwise, you are bound to lose a truck, sooner or later. Source: Sergio Cha

    I'm sorry for the demon I've become but you should be sorry for the angel you are not.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Kavanne wrote: »
    Ask yourself, why in that 20 yrs have you never moved into management? Onwards and upwards...?

    That's a very patronising thing to post!
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    I think you aren't comparing like for like. Without a degree, it can be impossible to EVER earn £20k/year. Ever.

    Roughly speaking, the salary that a lot of graduates start on (once using their degree) is what somebody without a degree will EVER achieve.

    I have over 20 years' IT industry experience, 30 years' work experience, including office management, training etc. I have a bunch of good qualifications under my belt and £20k is most often unachievable because jobs at/above that seem to want a degree (even when it's not needed).

    In 10 years' time you'll probably be on the equivalent of £35k, yet I'll still be on under £20k.

    You have to look at lifetime earnings and potential, not just the first 3-4 years.

    I would beg to differ. I dont have a degree but earn closer to £40k pa.

    The only degrees are useful degrees.
    Having a degree does not give you divine right to a high salary career.
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Kavanne wrote: »
    Ask yourself, why in that 20 yrs have you never moved into management? Onwards and upwards...?

    If you feel a degree IS required in your industry, why haven't you embarked on a part time degree? Even with the OU, for example.

    I think you need to reassess your career path, you need to seek out jobs that you are qualified for. Or perhaps although a description says you need a degree, your 20+ years experience could replace that? Have you ever phoned any employers and asked?
    Being a manager is not always an upward progression.

    In tough times,the knife is usually taken to layers of management.
    additionally, in some jobs,management sometimes get paid less than their underlings!
  • Hello all,

    I'm currently in the position that I am a mature student, having left work where in my last year I earnt £31k (I look at my P60 for motivation to keep going) to undertake the social work degree.

    I had become stuck in a position whereby without the degree I wouldn't be able to progress but nowadays you have to have the degree, if you are newly qualified to become a registered social worker....no other way round it. Therefore I bit the bullet and decided to go for it. I graudate in 2010 and given my previous experience I hope to start on at least £20-£25k per year so won't be too long to earn more than I have done historically (I hope).

    Mind you it isn't the sort of job one does for the ££££ and often the more 'on the ground' jobs pay less unfortunately. Social workers are often quoted as saying the pay is rubbish and all that but I look at jobs on Reed and agency staff earn at least £17 per hour, many in the £20+ per hour range, Not too shabby if you ask me.

    Oh yes and as regards qualifications my OH didn't sit one GCSE but he earns at least £42k per year which he has doen through sheer determination and at times working away to better himself.

    I think if you are prepared to put in the effort then you will be rewarded for it. That has been my experience so far.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.