PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Avoid using Gas and Electricity

Options

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Avoid using gas and electricity is an older similar thread.

We will merge this in later on:A

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• bizzylizzy
    bizzylizzy Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How long does pasta take to cook if you bring it to the boil and then turn the heat off?
  • enabledebra
    enabledebra Posts: 8,075 Forumite
    Options
    Pasta seems to take just the time it says on the packet.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The Wonderbag seems to work on the same principle as the old 'haybox'.I have used the 'haybox' sort, for cooking back in the 1970s when we kept having powercuts and blackouts as I at the time only had an all-electric house.I had (in fact still have) a blanket box that I had been given that dated from pre-war .It was an apprentice piece (one made by a chippy during his apprenteship) This I lined with several duvets and old pillows and blankets .I would (when I knew we had electricity) start offf my stew/casserole and bring up to optimal heat.I had one of those yellow enamel casserole dishes with a lid.Once boiling hot I carefully placed it into the 'nest' of insulation and covered it over and left to cook If I did this at around 9.00 in the morning it was more than ready by teatime and thoroughly cooked and the meat just melted in your mouth.It not only saved money on the electricity it meant that even if we had a 'blackout' which usually lasted a minimum of 3 hours my dinner was cooking away. Funnily enough I had a go at doing this last winter to see if I could cut back on the utilities a bit and it works beautifully.I prepped everthing the night before and just prior to going to bed I put it in its 'nest' Next morning my casserole was cooked and it had cost me a fraction of ebven a SC.Great for lentil soups etc or SC stews
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 August 2013 at 8:46AM
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    You can cook a whole meal in an electric steamer as opposed to having 3 or 4 rings on on a cooker and possibly the oven too.

Chicken on the bottom, taties next, veg next. All done at once.

Thank you for this.

With veggies, I always either steam or cook them alongside something else in the oven, either roasting or in a pyrex container. I sometimes steam salmon with veg too but have never thought of steaming chicken.

Ah, just realised, yours is an electric steamer; mine is a stove top but will try it though, should turn out ok, salmon does.

I turn off the heat to the oven (& gas rings) before the end of cooking time too.

I use my slow-cooker a lot but the microwave is only really used for re-heating, drying herbs or fruit slices for decorations. Oh, I do cook porridge in it.

I'll also use a thermos flask for things like gravy, sauce or custard - if anyone wants more with their meal, it doesn't have to be re-heated.
  • Ballymackeonan
    Options
    For Bizzylizzy - no, I haven't tried porridge in the Wonderbag as it works best if the dish is nearly full, and there aren't that many porridge eaters here. For myself, I put the porridge in the saucepan the previous night with boiling water and a bit of salt, put the lid on and leave it overnight. the next morning, bring up to boiling on the hub, put the lid back on and leave it aside for about 5 mins, gives lovely creamy porridge. I don't use milk in mine, but you could put less water in the night before and add the milk in the morning.

We have a "haybox" the OH made up - wood, lined with off-cuts of polystyrene - but he uses it for his homebrew, especially in the winter, to maintain an even temperature!
  • Homeagain
    Homeagain Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a george foreman I make chips on it as I don't own a chip fryer nd prefer oven chips, I have done chicken nuggets on it etc it heats up quick and mine has a timer on it. I use this instead of a BBQ too so I know I won't give anyone food poisoning.
    Slow cooker I use to do a whole chicken for Sunday lunch, I also make curries stews, my piri piri chicken, lasagne.
    If I do use the oven I turn it off 10 mins before I'm due to take the food out.
    Hope this helps

Could you tell me how to make a chicken in the slow cooker? How do you get it crispy?
    Thanks
  • camNolliesMUMMY
    camNolliesMUMMY Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 August 2013 at 9:06PM
    Options
    I don't get it crispy :( but I think I read somewhere their is a way like leaving the lidoff or something towards the end? Il see if I can find something? But I do sometimes transfer it to te oven for twenty mins basting the top to crisp upon the dish with no lid.
    I put our jacket potatoes in there too yet again we don't eat them crispy but I just put a lil oil in the bottom, put the spuds in the microwave for 10 mins then toss them in the oil in the sc and turn them every now n again.:)

Easy cooking on a busy day.
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is probably a REALLY stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I have just turned down the dial on the hot water on our combi boiler - will this save on gas? The water doesn't seem to be coming out any cooler and I've turned it from full to half way!

Thank you :D
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £2827 | Natwest Credit Card: £3362.96
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our central heating is always broken in my rented flat - I've saved a heap on the gas bill whilst freezing my unmentionables off! Lol.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure