PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Avoid using Gas and Electricity

Options

Comments

• enabledebra
    enabledebra Posts: 8,075 Forumite
    Options
    Ah- yes of course. I think I need to make sure I don't focus on obscure ideas (eg I'm just googling vacuum cooking) and remember some things are just fuel light already so thanks for the reminder.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Keep it simple - you're more likely to continue doing things if they're easy.

I'm sure there will be loads of other advice but I'll also add to do batch cooking so that when the oven does get heated up, you're getting several meals cooked at once. It also means that you'll have something homemade in the freezer for when you're in a rush or you don't feel like cooking. Much cheaper than getting a takeaway!
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I do the turn off thing with eggs where I turn off as soon as the water is boiling and just leave them in the water (I like my eggs hard boiled)
    and to a certain extent tatties as well, I put the lid on the pan after about 10 minutes and turn the gas off and leave for another 15 minutes (or less if they are new tatties)
  • enabledebra
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Keep it simple - you're more likely to continue doing things if they're easy.

I'm sure there will be loads of other advice but I'll also add to do batch cooking so that when the oven does get heated up, you're getting several meals cooked at once. It also means that you'll have something homemade in the freezer for when you're in a rush or you don't feel like cooking. Much cheaper than getting a takeaway!

Yes- you're right again about keeping it simple, I'm likely to go overboard for a couple of weeks and then go back to my usual ways if it's a hassle. I'll do some more searching on the board and try to get some 'normal' meal plans together. I'm just overly keen as the only gas use we don't already take care over is cooking and I'm perplexed at the bill we've just had for summer months!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm just overly keen as the only gas use we don't already take care over is cooking and I'm perplexed at the bill we've just had for summer months!

Are you sure you haven't got a little leak somewhere? Have you looked at your meter when the oven isn't on?
  • enabledebra
    Options
    No leak as far as I can tell, unless it's very small. I've checked the meter but I'll check usage over the next few days/weeks and if it still seems unusual I'll call them out- it is metered use that's increased more than unit cost so I suppose I could have a faulty meter or leak possibly.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I don't use my oven at all, and I don't want to spend time in the kitchen doing batch cooking. I steam my veg all together in the one pan. I don't eat meat though I sometimes grill a veggie burger. In winter I use one gas ring to make a three day stew in a big pan, then microwave day 2 and day 3 portions.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • enabledebra
    Options
    Oh dear, I've been rubbish at this. Things I have but never use- slow cooker, microwave, tiered steamer.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have an electric oven but since buying a remoska a couple of years ago my bills have dropped quite a bit.I only use my big oven on a Sunday morning when I am baking for the week the rest of the time as its only me to feed I manage with the 'moska,m'wave and my SC.My duel fule bill for the whole of last year was just under £600.00 and I have gas central heating as well
  • camNolliesMUMMY
    Options
    I have a george foreman I make chips on it as I don't own a chip fryer nd prefer oven chips, I have done chicken nuggets on it etc it heats up quick and mine has a timer on it. I use this instead of a BBQ too so I know I won't give anyone food poisoning.
    Slow cooker I use to do a whole chicken for Sunday lunch, I also make curries stews, my piri piri chicken, lasagne.
    If I do use the oven I turn it off 10 mins before I'm due to take the food out.
    Hope this helps
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing