PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Avoid using Gas and Electricity

Options

Comments

• Wombatchops
    Wombatchops Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    My OH qualified as an electrician, so I asked him. He said you'd use more electric turning on and off due to it having to heat from a cooler temp when it came back on - but wasn't so convincing about that once I pointed out it'd all heat from cold coming in and you weren't likely to have it turned off for more than seconds at a time. But I know my parents (very old) electric shower takes a while to pass through water that's the right temp, so I'd possibly be wasting water (and electric, so it may be he has a point) waiting for it to be useable again depending on just how long it could be turned off for without shoving through an initial burst of cold when turned back on. He did however think you'd shorten the life of the element, which would mean you'd need to pay for repairs / replacement much sooner and that would offset any (minimal) savings. He also said navy showers are done that way to conserve water rather than power.

Thanks, cw18, I thought that was the answer. I'll just have to have shorter showers.
    2016 MFW no. 47 £0/£3,000
    MFiT T4 no 26 Start bal £149,294, Current bal £149,294, Target bal £134,294
    Make £2,016 in 2016 £1180.55
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, thread too long to read it all, but I have stopped using the kettle to boil water for a drink. I put cold water in my mug and heat it in the microwave. I guess how long it needs, get it out before it starts boiling, then add sugar, coffee and coffee mate/milk, sip it to try, and put it back in microwave if it is not hot enough. Also the drink stays hotter for longer as the mug is getting warmed up as well. Over a year my electricity bill has gone down.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • hollieinbloom
    Options
    Thanks, cw18, I thought that was the answer. I'll just have to have shorter showers.

do you wash your hair each time you shower? You could always try just showering every other day and having a strip wash in the sink instead? I shower 1-2 times a week and just wash at the sink the rest of the week. Saves on towels too! In the summer I have to shower a few more times in the week but when it's not that warm or in the winter, I don't sweat so don't need to shower and can just use a flannel and soap at the sink :) HTH! xx

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • Wombatchops
    Options
    do you wash your hair each time you shower? You could always try just showering every other day and having a strip wash in the sink instead? I shower 1-2 times a week and just wash at the sink the rest of the week. Saves on towels too! In the summer I have to shower a few more times in the week but when it's not that warm or in the winter, I don't sweat so don't need to shower and can just use a flannel and soap at the sink :) HTH! xx

I don't wash my hair every time I shower, but I'm one of those people who don't feel clean unless I shower every day. The shower is over the bath, though, and I did think about using a flannel to wet myself in the bath, lathering up, and then switching the shower on only to rinse off. That would be a combination of a strip wash and a shower, I guess, and I'd still have the clean feeling.
    2016 MFW no. 47 £0/£3,000
    MFiT T4 no 26 Start bal £149,294, Current bal £149,294, Target bal £134,294
    Make £2,016 in 2016 £1180.55
  • indierocker85
    Options
    After receiving my latest gas bill :eek:I've just used an old style tip to cook pasta by bringing the water to the boil and then turning the gas off and just leaving it. It worked like a charm even though it was wholewheat pasta. Fab :)

I also just like the idea of not wasting fuel regardless of cost and wondered what people's favorite OS fuel saving tips are or if there's a collection of tips somewhere?

I do this with potatoes sometimes when I am part boiling them for roasts
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • samanthaneww2d
    Options
    Have just spent over an hour reading some of these things and have been inspired I have made carrot and coriander soup by grating the carrot instead of chopping bringing the pressure cooker type pan to the boil switching it off and leaving it for over half an hour then using my stick blender gave it a blend brought it to simmer again and turned off pan again and fastened lid. Am hoping it will still be warm in an hour and a half when I get back from my brisk walk to warm up.

Thanks for all the tips I am going to try and make a wonderbag with an old duvet over the weekend as my bills are astronomical and I need some drastic action to cut down.

Have to make a carrot cake for an event and am considering using tinned carrots and microwaving it to save some fuel ( i'll trial run it before the event just in case it doesn't work)

btw does 16-18 units of electricity a day on average sound a lot to people?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    btw does 16-18 units of electricity a day on average sound a lot to people?
    :) Hi there, it does to me, using 2 units per 24 hours.

Do you have an electric cooker, by any chance? They're real energy hogs, as are tumble-driers? How many in the household/ are you home a lot or out all day/ what kind of appliances owned and how long are they used for?

I have a gas cooker and have a stovetop kettle which is very energy efficient. Plus it frees up the counter space which was hosting the electric kettle.

Later today, I'm planning to use the gas oven to cook a sequence of things such as bread, a baked potato and roast veggies for a roasted-veggie soup. Will be consolidating these tasks into a succession (perhaps with overlap for the bread and potato, to avoid wasting too much energy bringing the oven up then down. Was taught to think this way as a kid by Mum's example when baking.

Oh, and when I'm away from the pooter for more than a couple of mins, I turn the monitor off at the power button..........little things add up. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • samanthaneww2d
    Options
    Thanks so much just got back from a small walk as its teaming it down but at least Im warmer now. Yes we have an electric cooker and two to four young adults ( two are at uni but still frequent often especially one who is only up the road and as such drops in for dinner/ showers etc etc) as well as myself and my husband. Thanks for the heads up about the monitor ( I have made a mental note to do this) There is nearly always someone in as my daughter is only at college two days a week and my son works very odd hours on very complicated shift patterns and also has twenty minute showers up till yesterday when i said I'd up his board if he could not half it.

I am going to try and implement a lot of ideas such as using my microwave more batch cooking etc it will mean being more organised but my bills are rocketing .

Am just about to go round unplugging all the phone chargers that are plugged in 24/7
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Samantha - use a crockpot. Yes unplug everything that isn't being used. Don't leave anything on standby, and if at all poss don't use a tumble drier.
    We cut our usage from 13 units a day down to 3 by reading this thread:)
  • samanthaneww2d
    Options
    wow 3 units a day thats impressive. I have decided to turn off microwave and cooker when not in use and will just have to reset the clocks when I need to use them and thanks for the crockpot idea I have one but to my shame have never ever used it ( need to look up some recipes I think and just do it )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure