BT Shop Advent Calendar

Options

Comments

• mrme
    mrme Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Options
    I have a screen grab that may be useful - I had the tomtom in my basket @ £269 but decided I didn't want it after all but still I was going to get it and offer it to another forumite. When I got to the basket it said the price has changed from £269.99 to the higher price. They can't say it was an error as it has been that price for ages. They won't win on this - look @ toys'r'us they didn't and this is much worse in my opinion, thoght better of BT as they have been great in the past, the sent out the orders for the tv last time @ £247 ???
    :j :j
  • pepemia
    pepemia Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry but I refuse to give them the money after this. Robbing cheating gits. Nope im taking it futher. Trading standards will love this Im with the ANTI - BT BRIGADE now. They nearly had a happy customer until they mucked around with the prices.
    :-/
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
    Giddy up old fella cos the moon is yellow tonight,
    Giddy up old fella cos the moon is mellow and bright,
    There’s a coyote crying at the moon above,
    Carry me back to the one I love,
    And you old faithful pal of mine.
  • hesjane
    hesjane Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So lets just get this clear. BT have the tomtom kit on sale prior to the advent offer for £269 (which we all looked at covertly? although it was on open sale at the same price elsewhere on the site, so at least we're safe there) Just prior to advent sale day (of which we nothing about?)...it goes up by just over 22%
    Then BT offer a 30% reduction less than 24 hours after it's gone up.......I'm sure trading standards can smell it from where they are.....this needs a concerted effort in order to bring BT into line....the question is are we all up for it?

why bother saying we looked at it 'covertly'.....the instructions on how to look at future advents dates/deals are all over the internet and we didn't break into BT's code or anything like that

Hes
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm but BT would probably argue that those pages weren't open to the general public, as they didn't actually provide links to the other days beforehand.
    Surely under the sale of goods act if they are discounting goods they should have been offered at the higher price for the previous 28 days (or something like that)
    I don't think it's for the previous 28 days, I think it's within the previous 28 days or they have to have sold it at a higher price previously. I've always been suspicious about WhSmiths' 'sales' among others. The last one for the dvd's that they had where all the dvd's were bogof. Strangely enough all the dvd's were a minimum of £12.99 - and they were all old films, not chart stuff. And I'm sure that I'd seen some of those dvd's for £5.99 or less previously. They put them up for a day or so beforehand, then had their so called sale. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's what the retailers get up to.

The only thing in BT's favour is that at least they let you know, instead of leaving you to hang on for ever unlike Empire. Only got my letter yesterday telling me the item was out of stock, apparently.
  • ian_mitchell_2
    Options
    it's definately illegal what they have done
  • newskiller
    Options
    it's definately illegal what they have done

Is it? or do you mean it definately should be.

If you are sure do you mind giving a reference so that those complaining can do likewise.

If you object to these practices you can complain to the TSO by filling out a form here.

http://www.consumercomplaints.org.uk/complaintmap.asp

It may not necessarily help anyone who has ordered this deal but it does make your protest official and only takes 2 mins.

Btw when describing the deal. It was previously on sale at £289.99 reduced to £269.99. It is the raising of the 'normal sale price' from £289.99 to 329.99 (in conjunction with the promotion) about which it is reasonable to complain. Complaining about replacing one promotion for another better one would itself hardly justify complaint.
  • andy20
    andy20 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone show that they have not offered it at this new price in the previous 6 months for a consecutive period of 28 days?

According to the Consumer Protection Act 1987 it's a criminal offence to give consumers an indication which is misleading as to the price of goods.  If the shop have not offered the goods at the new price for at least 28 consecutive days in the previous six months they will be potentially committing an offence.

I am also pretty !!!!!! off about this because I have been waiting to get one with 30% off.
  • ranger_2
    Options
    I dont have screen grabs for the relysis lcdtv from bt, but do have some screengrabs of search engines showing it at £349, any use?
  • Burtie_2
    Burtie_2 Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone show that they have not offered it at this new price in the previous 6 months for a consecutive period of 28 days?

According to the Consumer Protection Act 1987 it's a criminal offence to give consumers an indication which is misleading as to the price of goods.  If the shop have not offered the goods at the new price for at least 28 consecutive days in the previous six months they will be potentially committing an offence.

I am also pretty !!!!!! off about this because I have been waiting to get one with 30% off.

This only refers to items "on sale" where the reported higher price has to have been sold for a period of 28 days in at least one shop in the last 6 months. It therefore would have applied to the £289 price when the item was £269.

I really don't see anything illegal here, sales end and are replaced with other offerings. You can't go into a shop and say "last week you were selling it for £x" - Homebase put many prices up and ended Sale items recently just prior to the 10% day and that's not illegal.

Why is this forum turning into a complainers "loss of bargain" (lets screw the system) sounding board...SHAME!!!  :-/
  • pepperoni_2
    pepperoni_2 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    Options
    I think this is a reasonable complaint.
    On the bottom of every advent offer is a banner which says "hereare some of the other product offers that
    will be available " indicating to the consumer that those items will be reduced later on during the promotion...there is clearly a picture of the iPAQ...therefore if you had looked at the iPAQ and seen it at (and for this example lets take the iPAQ on it's own)
    £169.99 it would be quite reasonable for you to wait until it came up for sale with 30% off...the presence of the banner indicates that you should wait to purchase at a 30% discount... it's certainly misrepresentation...well that just my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure