edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
11 replies 1.3K views
helen_shawhelen_shaw Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Apologies for no previous title !

ABBEY NATIONAL

WARNING

Has anybody with a current account with Abbey National received letters to say that cheques have been stopped for no good reason?????

We are in credit with our bank account & have good credit history.
We have received letters this week from the Abbey to say they have stopped cheques we have recently wrtitten.
Our funds are there and have been since opening the account 13 years ago.

Apparently there computerised system is randomly stopping cheques??

As we only write cheques for birthdays & our childrens clubs etc this is really embarassing.

Our daughter has been told tonight that our cheque has been refused "cheque stopped" for her Girl Guides subs.
The funds are there -& have been indefinitely & this is a computer blip!!!!!

I've written cheques to school & other family stuff & find this really annoying.

Has anybody else had this problem.

Thought they were suppose to look after your money

Abbey have no answers as to why this is happening?

Girl Guides have received a £4.00 charge - Help if you can !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really annoyed as my account is in credit & this shouldn't happen

Replies

• 456789456789 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    I doubt that 'Helen' as a title is a good description of your issue - click edit and change it to something like 'Cheque problems with Abbey'

What did the girl guides receive a charge for? Because your cheque was stopped they got charged?
  • Abbey not Abbey National. Not convinced this is genuine situation. Maybe the result of too many shandies?
  • Yes - we have the letter girl guides received.
    States a charge of £4.00 has been applied to their account
  • LittleVoiceLittleVoice Forumite
    9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    456789 wrote: »
    What did the girl guides receive a charge for? Because your cheque was stopped they got charged?

Seems clear to me -

A cheque was written out to pay GGs. They presented the cheque through their bank. Abbey bounced cheque. GGs charged by their bankers because the cheque they presented was not honoured.
    9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Helen - was the problem that Abbey were treating this as a dormant account and were then suspicious of a cheque being presented?
  • crazyfjcrazyfj Forumite
    290 Posts
    Using an old cheques book?
  • 456789456789 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Seems clear to me -

A cheque was written out to pay GGs. They presented the cheque through their bank. Abbey bounced cheque. GGs charged by their bankers because the cheque they presented was not honoured.
    hmm but why should GG's be penalised for something that isn't their fault?
  • We have had the chq book since May 08. All chqs have cleared from May through to beginning of Jan 09.
    We have placed no stop on this chq book.Chq was returned to GG stamped chq stopped.There are funds of £1000 in this account & have been since Dec 08 continuously.
    Abbey agree the funds are there & have been continuously.They say they have no record of us requesting the stop of the chq book.All chq's written since 1st week of January show as pending on their system.We have now received 4 separate letters in 2 days regarding 4 separate chqs to state these chqs are stopped.
    Abbey state they need to speak to their IT dept as they cannot understand what has happened at their end.
    Call centre last night said that there had been other calls received yesterday evening regarding stopped chqs where customers had not requested the stop.

We have given GG the £4.00 charge they incurred. Abbey state individuals do not incurr a charge but organisations can. The other chqs that were stopped were written to niece/nephew for birthdays & other individual.
    This is now the 5th chq & find this frustrating having to now get cash to people we thought we had paid.Abbey advise us not use chq book at present until problem is resolved - they also show no stop on the chq book.

I just wondered if anybody else is experiencing this problem or similar ?

Thanks
    9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just the crappy Abbey computer system yet again I suppose.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals