PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    caramia1812;18863747]
    Edited to add: My mortgage is cheaper than it costs to rent where I live (that is if there was anywhere left to rent) and I there is only about 3k equity but not sure if that even counts as the property is leasehold with 64 years left on lease and no-one will give you a mortgage if there is less than 65 years left on lease....I have thought of everything. And yes, I apply for every part time job under the sun in this town but no-one wants to employ someone who is already full time employed when there are so many people out of work where I live......

I am in a hole with nowhere to go except further down the hole[/quote]

So sorry to read your post, why not take up penelopes offer, she may see something on your SOA that you cant. When youre worried sick its good to have someone elses perspective on things. If you already have a mortgage, your lender should still give you a mortgage, albeit not the same deal as youre, on but a mortgage nonetheless. Try cccs again, I found them brilliant, even if you pay a tiny amount to your creditors its better thatn nothing!
    Keep checking in with the site - its helped me through some tough times!
    All the very best to you

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    01001011 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Spent >£17 on weekend shopping at Sainsbury's and Lidl :eek:!!! Of which cooking wine cost £5.59; 1 kg of frozen lamb chop cost £3.98 (which is pretty cheap), and some cleaning products. I noticed the Sainsbury's pudding rice had gone up to 84p / 500g (was 48p) :eek: !!!! No deal :mad:!

On Monday I spent 30p on whoopsed fruit and veg and just spent 26p on turkey for lunch. That brings money spent so far to £40.98.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    good afternoon...hope everyone is ok....we have had a cheap morning out in the local park...then went to hbargains but only spent £2 in there which is less than usual....popped into tesco where they had all there valentines day bit and bobs reduced to half price if anyone wants that kind of stuff....the cheap curry sauce was 13p so its come down a bit....i find myself saying no deal a lot to food at the moment....i think it must be good for the grey matter all this thinking blimey im not paying that what can i buy instead ?...iv just put on the sc with a lamb hot pot in it which will hopefully be nice.....its mad usung reduced lamb and a half price stew bag from the coop.....very ms

i did find a few reduced vegetables on my travels today...perhaps people ditch veg at half term and exist on mcdonalds...my kids would love that....i had a go at the self serve till today ...its really good and quick and i got a green club card point for bringing a bag...makes a change i usually forget

tata tess
    onwards and upwards
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wish my MRTs did such good reductions,never seem to have many and only ever pennies off,nothing like you all seem to find:confused:

Not spent too much today £4.64 in MRSs but did include plain flour (cheapest one of course) 6 pints of milk,squash and yoghurts for the LO.
    £1,00 in Poundland.

Not doing too badly up to now I am really thinking do we REALLY need that now before I buy anything.

Total now:£262.37p
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • LeeSouthEast
    Options
    Depends on the company I guess. Certainly in my Tesco the price difference is upwards of several pounds!
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    cazspatch wrote: »
    thanks everyone - has given me ideas for next week!

Great :beer: I'm with others - £50 per week doesn't seem bad to me ;)

I'll add this to the Grocery Challenge thread, where people aim to reduce their grocery spends to levels they can afford. You'll get loas more tips there :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    But surely, buying a pound of lean mince is better financially? After all, buying the non lean mince means that you're paying for the fat. A pound of fatty mince, once the fat is drained off is going to weigh less than a pound of lean mince so the monetary saving isn't so good.

I totally agree as not only do you pay for the fat in the cheaper mince but you get a much poorer quality of meat. Buy a pack for 99p or whatever,cook it up, drain it off and weigh it again along with its more expensive counterpart. Im careful with my money and this is my own experience-the cheap stuff looks a lot but cooks down to far less than the one which "seems more expensive". I did fall for it at one time and bought many of the cheap packs-I just put it down to experience now. If I want fat I will buy a block of butter.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • laineyc_2
    Options
    I only needed to buy bread & milk today. I am looking forward to my mega shop arriving on Friday. I organised my household budget for the year today. I had not got round to it because my last year's budget was on DS's broken computer. I just downloaded some templates and set it up on my PC. I am starting to feel in control again now I can see everything written down. Doing the grocery budget for this month has been a huge help. I reckon I was spening around £600 a month becuase I wasn't organised. Now I should be able to put aside the money saved.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • indebted
    Options
    I've popped on to update my shocking Feb total. We've had a couple of expensive meals (in) as we've had a Birthday / Valentines Day but even so I'm suprised I've let it slip soooo much. Never got around to the Menu Plans etc and although have tried to be canny, the proof is definately missing.

£290.04 so far, leaving us £9.94 for a huge 10 days, with yet another Birthday Tea to do. Booooooo
    Not been on for a while but need to get finances in order

DH, DS 28, DD 23 just come back home, Frodo & Morgan
  • longtimelurker_2
    Options
    Nearly blew food budget by going out for a nice dinner on V.Day. Sat next to Richard E Grant though - so worth it ;)

Have this week's dinners planned and provisions for it. Have about £40 of my budget left (should be plenty)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure