PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Hawthorn
    Hawthorn Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    Options
    What are you feeding the pets?

Is there anything left over from this weeks shop?

It would be a great help if you could write down what it is you bought and how much it cost you.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :T

Don't throw away food challenge started 30/10/11 £4.45 wasted.

Storecard balance -[STRIKE] £786.60[/STRIKE] £708
  • Hawthorn
    Hawthorn Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    Options
    But the sad truth is the supermarkets are still increasing prices - so much for things getting cheaper in a recession

Hey, not true! Asda reduced their corned beef by a penny.....I got most excited :rotfl:
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :T

Don't throw away food challenge started 30/10/11 £4.45 wasted.

Storecard balance -[STRIKE] £786.60[/STRIKE] £708
  • brightonman123
    Options
    how about growing own veg in the garden, and selling / giving away the pets..

though could roast at 200@, with a bit of thyme...;)
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    :A Good for you hun
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hellooo, had a spend free day 2day :o)
    Just wanted to ask if this is moneysaving too far??
    Last week when out shopping got given a parking ticket (worth 60p) when I got groceries from the co-op store attached they ask for the bottom tear off part then they refunded the parking of 60p... my friend said it was scabby seeing as the ticket was given to me in the first place?? what say u??
    I would have handed it in too -with a great big :D on my face..
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Hellooo, had a spend free day 2day :o)
    Just wanted to ask if this is moneysaving too far??
    Last week when out shopping got given a parking ticket (worth 60p) when I got groceries from the co-op store attached they ask for the bottom tear off part then they refunded the parking of 60p... my friend said it was scabby seeing as the ticket was given to me in the first place?? what say u??

I say you would have been daft not to! Then again-I'm a bit scabby according to dd. Whats the difference in who bought it? The T & C say you get it refunded at the till. Good for you I say.:money:
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • orchid-96
    Options
    I agree with everyone re the parking ticket, I can't see the problem with that at all, its just good luck :p

A nsd today (and yesterday woo hoo) so am not doing too badly...have my sis and her fiance and son coming fri night till Sunday and dh is going to cook his lasagne so will need to get stuff for that and a pud sorted and also some breakfasty stuff for Sun Morning....think I can scrape by till Friday then if I can get away with say £40-50 that should leave me enough for little top ups....

DH made gorgeous burgers for tea tonight for us all - yum!

Well done to all of you for your efforts so far :T
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    I think £50 for 2 plus 2 pets is good.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cazspatch - I have found a similar problem, I don't seem to be able to get below about £150 a month for 2 of us (no pets).

There are some ways I know I could cut corners e.g. buying own brand yoghurts not activia, and I buy expensive super lean mince (I'm on WW too)

Frozen veg is much cheaper, we have it quite often as well as fresh some nights. Also try fish, frozen can be good but also we buy fresh trout, you get 2 fillets for £2ish. Cous cous is super cheap and filling, buy the plain stuff - abouy 60p for a 500g bag which will do you 4-5 meals each. I use a bit of stock, some lemon juice and peas /sweetcorn mixed in. We also take it for lunch the next day often.
    as you say iceland stuff is cheaper, you can have the occasional thing still. we often have fish fingers, waffles and beans for an easy (and quite low point) dinner.
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • caramia1812
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm understanding your post properly. Have you posted you SOA :confused: I'm a CAB money adviser and will gladly give you my opinion, if you point me to it.

Penny. x

Hi Penny
    I already went to CAB last year when I had no luck with CCCS. Even CAB told me I could not afford to pay the CC companies the £147 and the CCs refused the offer that CAB made on my behalf. No point in posting a SOA here as I have already cut back to the absolute limit. I cancelled Sky, mobile phone, pension, life insurance, critical illness insurance, cut my electricity and gas to 50% per month and only put heating/water on for 1hr at night and 1hr in the morning, cancelled gym membership and rely on neice to sort my hair for me. I have not allowed any clothing allowance as I have a great family who buy me the necessary "clothing" and don't go out EVER socially, don't drink and cut my cigs down from a 20/day habit to 5/day (I need those 5!) and STILL HBOS is messing me around with letters that do not answer mine etc etc etc........If you are thinking about telling me to get a better mortgage deal, I had one of the best deals at the time (August 07) which expires in October this year but there are problems with that too now. There is a penalty of £3k for coming out of the deal and besides, who is going to give me a mortgage now when I have been paying reduced payments to CC's for the past year.........

Edited to add: My mortgage is cheaper than it costs to rent where I live (that is if there was anywhere left to rent) and I there is only about 3k equity but not sure if that even counts as the property is leasehold with 64 years left on lease and no-one will give you a mortgage if there is less than 65 years left on lease....I have thought of everything. And yes, I apply for every part time job under the sun in this town but no-one wants to employ someone who is already full time employed when there are so many people out of work where I live......

I am in a hole with nowhere to go except further down the hole
    :j Got the loan and now down from £9k to £4.5k. Trying to get a better mortgage deal now but thanks to ex-husband I am being knocked back..... Still in a better place than two years ago. Have faith!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure