Free Calls and Texts - Blyk

Options
Just to let fellow students know about Blyk - they send you text adverts and in return you get free texts and minutes each month - for 16-25 year olds. I've been using it for a while and have saved so much money as I never top up my phone.

http://www.blyk.co.uk

Comments

• farso
    farso Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Free is a complete overstatement.

The company raises money by profiling you by what you say and do, then forces adverts at you.Im not saying its bad, its just that I would personally never use something so invasive on my personal life.

So Free, No. Paid for by advertising, Yes.

"What is offered for free is dangerous - it usually involves either a trick or a hidden obligation." Robert Greene
  • Piggles12345
    Options
    A woman that I knew from my undergraduate days uses this service. She only gets a coupld of texts per week and seldom runs out of credit. Moreover, she has used a couple of the promotional adverts sent to her to get some cheap deals on make-up and cinema tickets amongst other things!

A few weeks ago I tried to sign up, but you have to wait until the promotional people are around (i.e. you can't sign up online).

Based on her experiences, the woman that I knew whole heartedly recommended this service.
    'I can't deny the British influence on my accent and mannerisms, but I don't know the British national anthem, I didn't weep for Princess Diana and I always cheer when Britain loses at sport. That's how British I am' Constantine-Simms. :T

On God: 'The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike' D. B. McKown :T
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You only get something like 30 odd texts a month or something don't you? Considering I send around 800 a month wouldn't be that useful for me.
  • No_Future
    No_Future Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    farso wrote: »
    Free is a complete overstatement.

The company raises money by profiling you by what you say and do, then forces adverts at you.Im not saying its bad, its just that I would personally never use something so invasive on my personal life.

So Free, No. Paid for by advertising, Yes.

"What is offered for free is dangerous - it usually involves either a trick or a hidden obligation." Robert Greene
    They only send me a couple per week, if any and if I am not interested I delete them. Not an invasion at all.
  • DrScotsman
    Options
    Am I the only one wondering why this has such a niche popularity? I mean it's not too surprising not to see it mentioned in the mobile phones article (not to mention that article is mainly aimed for contracts anyway), but it's rarely mentioned on the forums too.

I mean I'm not saying this is perfect, I've been searching and found the general opinion is that it's fine unless you try to port a number over when it's terrible. Nonetheless this is quite epic moneysaving.
  • Wulge
    Wulge Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of board members gave me a code a while back, but neither worked. Does anyone know where I can get a working one?
  • DrScotsman
    Options
    Wulge wrote: »
    A couple of board members gave me a code a while back, but neither worked. Does anyone know where I can get a working one?

Yesterday I signed up on https://www.blyk.me, it let you sign up without an invite code (after signing up you could log onto the main site and anything). Very strangely (for me at least) that is now no longer the case, it redirects to some random ad.

I've PMd you with an invite code. It says they're valid for a limited time only though, so use it asap.
  • Wulge
    Wulge Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    ^Just used it, thanks a lot.
  • farso
    farso Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    No_Future wrote: »
    They only send me a couple per week, if any and if I am not interested I delete them. Not an invasion at all.

If you like targeted advertising (ie, a company collects data on you) then I'm sure its great. Just not for me, and probably many. Thus answering the question raised of why it's niche?
  • greasythug
    Options
    The new £15 credit to use how you want isn't as good as the old deal of 217 texts 43 mins calls.

The new £15 for free plan comes in to play in February.

They are also doing an offer of if you top up by £5 they will give you £5 extra for free on your next refill.

i'm thinking of ways to get more out of the £15. I guess those text services that use WAP to send messages for next to nothing could be used instead using the credit allowance as data transfer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure