PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Inspiration please

Comments

• rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    marri_lou wrote: »
    How much of a geek?

Knitty have a pattern for a binary scarf, and if you can sew and he's into half life (and things of that ilk) have a look at some of the sewing patterns kicking about the web.

If he's a Firefly fan maybe a Jayne hat? Could always find someone with a rabbit and steal some hay for the packing for authenticity.

My hubby is an uber geek and likes things like QI. So I got him a couple of books from Amazon calle dthe Pedants Revolt and the Pedants Return. Very much in a QI style/General Ignorance

Love the binary scarf idea. his wedding ring had a binary encoded message engraved on it but he is allergic to it - so that would be perfect.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • how about knitting hime some socks? They are small, don't need much wool and knit up quick.

Also you could knit him a hot water bottle cover with bottle, not much wool needed here either (pattern here) http://myglasshouse.typepad.com/knitting/2003/08/hot_water_bottl.html

Sometimes they have digital photo keyrings going cheap at grabbitnow http://www.grabitnow.com/ that should satisfy the inner geek! hope he has a nice birthday :)
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • marri_lou wrote: »
    Knitty have a pattern for a binary scarf, and if you can sew and he's into half life (and things of that ilk) have a look at some of the sewing patterns kicking about the web.

Would you be able to share that pattern please marri_lou?
  • http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTbinary.html

Hope it's ok to stick my nose in, I love Knitty! This scarf looks great, but if you don't fancy the colour work involved, perhaps there's something else out there...
  • Thanks gayepaula!
  • siber
    siber Posts: 47 Forumite
    If the intended recipient is an outdoor summer cookery kind of person, try this gift that I received from my (unemployed and stoney broke at the time) brother last year. ~~ Note you may need a hand if you're not good with machinery or tools ~~

If you can find an old washing machine from somewhere, you can take the thing apart around the drum and the belt wheel that spins it. Clean all the limescale off and by standing it upright, using the belt wheel as a base, it instantly becomes a patio space heater. Thus, following a delicious summer barbecue, you tip your hot coals into the metal drum, add a few logs or paper or more coals to keep the fire going, and the drum's skin will warm up and radiate warmth nearby. It even looks pretty too.

As a bonus, if you can simultaneously liberate the glass door from the washing machine, these often make nice glass serving dishes or salad bowls (sometimes even if they're not round/flat bottomed!).

Alternatively, find some old discarded tyres (often dumped by the side of the road, in old factory sites etc), clean them up and paint them - a personal touch! Placing them one on top of another and filling with soil/compost-able waste, these become a rather attractive planter for the garden. Planting hardy vegetables such as potatoes in the first year will break up and improve the soil, allowing flowers or anything to be grown subsequently!

Ecological and reusing things that would otherwise be sent to landfill. :money:
    New Year's Resolution: _party_
    Make sandwiches the night before. DON'T BUY LUNCH AT WORK!
  • What about knitted ipod socks? :)There's loads of patterns here, just scroll down to the i's.
  • Also, if you're feeling crafty, this is my fave site for creative things! The contributors make everything under the sun, and some of them are awe inspiring!

http://www.craftster.org/
  • Would you be able to share that pattern please marri_lou?

Sorry I just caught this!
    gayepaula wrote: »
    http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTbinary.html

Hope it's ok to stick my nose in, I love Knitty! This scarf looks great, but if you don't fancy the colour work involved, perhaps there's something else out there...

Thanks!:T
    Feb GC £41.23/£90 :o
    Debt £0/£2140 (everything bar the mortgage). 16th Month 0% interest, ends May 2009.Mortgage - £54000
    Competitions won: Gu Chocolates (Jan n/r)
  • or what about an illusion scarf? Just hit it into google and have a look at the images.
    Feb GC £41.23/£90 :o
    Debt £0/£2140 (everything bar the mortgage). 16th Month 0% interest, ends May 2009.Mortgage - £54000
    Competitions won: Gu Chocolates (Jan n/r)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure