Guaranteed Capital Bond

Options
Hi hope its ok to ask here
We have a Guaranteed Capital Bond from RBS through Royal Scottish Assurance. Mature date Dec 2009. If anything happens to RBS are our savings protected by any of the protections bodys FSCS ??? etc. I know its very unlikely that we will get any interest but am worried that we might lose our capital.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If anything happens to RBS are our savings protected by any of the protections bodys FSCS ???

If its on the life assurance wrapper it falls under insurance FSCS protection. If its in an ISA or SIPP wrappers or unwrapped then it falls under the investment FSCS protection. However, the protection applies to the underwriter of the scheme and not the retailer.
    I know its very unlikely that we will get any interest

Correct. It doesnt pay interest. its not a savings account or fixed term deposit.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • OAP1945
    OAP1945 Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry wrapper, unwrapped ?? underwriter, retailer ??
    told you I was a newbie
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Investment can be placed in various tax "wrappers". The UK has lots of these but two of most popular are ISAs and pensions. Investment bonds are another. They are containers for your investment and get treated differently for tax.

Guaranteed equity bonds can be held in ISAs, unwrapped (meaning not in any tax wrapper but treated as unit trust), investment bonds (life assurance) and SIPPs (a type of pension).

FSCS protection on investments falls under investments or insurance depending on which wrapper you use to hold the investment. Either way you are protected upto 48k (on a 50k investment) with investments and unlimited with insurance (with a minimum of 90% of your investment)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • OAP1945
    OAP1945 Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks thats a relief.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts