How do I buy 5 ETFs cheaply each month

Options
Ladies and Gents,

I wish to buy 5 ETFs each month as a way of building an investment portfolio and at the same time hopefully leave something to my children in the future.

Can anybody give me any advice as to how to do this cheaply ?

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Thanks
I'm very much a believer in
"In what goes around, comes around".
So try and be nice to each other.

Comments

• Blah99
    Blah99 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    Ladies and Gents,

I wish to buy 5 ETFs each month as a way of building an investment portfolio and at the same time hopefully leave something to my children in the future.

Can anybody give me any advice as to how to do this cheaply ?

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Thanks

How many ETFs do you intend to hold? There's only something like 170 ETFs listed on the LSE, many of them "duplicates" (eg: quite a few just track the FTSE100, Allshare etc) so you don't have a massive selection.

If you're looking to buy and hold just open a dealing account with any of the cheap execution brokers (III, Selftrade, Hoodless Brennan etc) and that's it. You'll have to pay your fees and stamp regardless, so you're just trying to save a few £ on the dealing fees. As you're buying and holding you probably won't qualify for an active trade account with reduced fees.

Also, consider whether ETFs are the right way to do what you want (investment for children).
    Mmmm, credit crunch. Tasty.
  • silver_4444_uk
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt reply Blah.I was looking at building an investment portfolio in additon to my future company pension. I don't wish to contribute any more each month to the pension because I would like to leave something to my kids.Do you have any alternative suggestions, where I could put £300 every month ?Thanks.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    How much do etf cost to buy, same as shares?
  • JackyF
    JackyF Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much do etf cost to buy, same as shares?

The commission is the same as for shares but there is no stamp duty on ETFs.
  • SeanW
    SeanW Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    You could use a share builder platform, such as Halifax, iii or fool which I believe are all provided by Halifax.

You pay £1.50 per purchase, with iii you pay £10 per sale.

If you are buying £300 into 5 funds a month that works out at a 2.5% charge on purchase alone though.
  • silver_4444_uk
    Options
    Thanks Sean W for your answer. I am having to rethink my plans. I was initially attracted to ETFs because of their low annual charges. But it appears that they are not suitable for regular monthly investments because of the comparatively high initial commission charges.

Does anybody have any alternative ideas ???
  • ozzage
    ozzage Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    Am I missing something, or is this logic flawed?

If you pay 2.5% up-front, but only say 0.25% ongoing (TER) for an ETF, compared to paying 0% up-front, but say 1.2% TER (e.g. a common managed fund), then after four years you're still going to much better off with the ETF.

Even if you assume slightly better growth from the managed fund I would think that the lower TER will more than offset the up-front cost over time.

Opinions?
  • silver_4444_uk
    Options
    If anybody has any opinions on the last post. I would be very grateful to hear them.
    Thanks
  • Myrmidon_J
    Options

If anybody has any opinions on the last post. I would be very grateful to hear them.

If my understanding is right - and I am willing to stand corrected! - I think that the vast majority of collective funds (i.e. "common managed funds") charge up to 5% up front anyway, in the form of a bid/offer spread.

ETFs are (generally) significantly cheaper than actively managed funds and if you intend to invest for the long-term (10-15 years), the compound effect is drastic.

Although you do lose the 'benefits' of active management.

The initial charges - in terms of commission - are likely to be high in percentage terms, because of the relatively low investment amount. You could get around this by choosing fewer funds, or spreading out your investment across the year - i.e. £900 / quarter rather than £300 / month.
    For the avoidance of doubt: I work for an IFA.
  • jon3001
    jon3001 Posts: 890 Forumite
    Options
    Myrmidon_J wrote: »
    If my understanding is right - and I am willing to stand corrected! - I think that the vast majority of collective funds (i.e. "common managed funds") charge up to 5% up front anyway, in the form of a bid/offer spread.

If you buy from a discount broker you won't pay a spread.
    Myrmidon_J wrote: »
    The initial charges - in terms of commission - are likely to be high in percentage terms, because of the relatively low investment amount. You could get around this by choosing fewer funds, or spreading out your investment across the year - i.e. £900 / quarter rather than £300 / month.

If you want passively managed funds then I'd use unit-linked index trackers to buy on a regular basis. When you've built up a decent sized sum you could consider moving it into ETFs later.

It depends on what these ETFs are and if there are equivalent investments available in unit-linked form.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure