Did you know water companies can take money direct from benefit?

Options
I just found out today when my water bill arrived that they have the right to apply for a deduction direct from your benefits. Okay granted, its not much £7 a week. However when you only get £94 for 3 adults and 2 kids it does not help.

The other thing I found out that may be worth enquiring about is that our supplier ANGLIAN WATER have a fund for people on benefits. The woman on the phone said she should not tell me this, but if I go to CAB and ask for an application under the Anglian Water Fund then I may get help.

May be worth asking if there is such a fund available to your nearest supplier! I would ask the CAB local to you and not the water company though, in case they are not so quick to admit it.

Comments

• real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Why do you only get £94 for 3 adults and 2 kids?
    You must have other income surely?

As for the water, if you haven't paid your bill, then it's better for them to take the money from your benefit than cut it off I'd think. The only other alternative would be to let you have it free, but if they did that, why should anyone else pay?
  • sad_dog_lady
    Options
    actually its atax break... anglian water and other co,mpanies pay into a charity for uk benefit utilities debt..... if your circumstances have changed dramatically and you are on a low income you can ask for help... its all above board and not well publicised to stop mass non payment... have a go i've found anglian water to be a very friendly and approachable bunch.
    my husband once raised a large sum of money for a hospice and they were very generous in donating.
    1. i'm bi polar.:rotfl:2. carer for two autistic sons.:A 3. have a wonderful but challenging teenage daughter.:mad: 4. have a husband that is insatiable. :eek: 5. trying to do an open degree.
  • mouseymousey99
    Options
    If you are on certain benefits you may qualify for AW's aquaplus scheme.
    AW is also trying to get the law changed so that they can 'trickle' water to non-payers.
  • Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    yep they can also take CT payments and Rent payments from your benefits

Though only a couple of ££
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    k1mmie wrote: »
    However when you only get £94 for 3 adults and 2 kids it does not help.

That doesn't sound right, can you break it down a little?

Sue
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • k1mmie
    k1mmie Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    real1314 wrote: »
    Why do you only get £94 for 3 adults and 2 kids?
    You must have other income surely?

As for the water, if you haven't paid your bill, then it's better for them to take the money from your benefit than cut it off I'd think. The only other alternative would be to let you have it free, but if they did that, why should anyone else pay?

Claiming JSA as a couple which is the £94.. My daughter is 19 and has literally just started work ( she could not afford to pay any keep after her outgoings and financial committments, but at least she is paying her way rather than us paying for her now). My other 2 children are 13,15 and at home. Applied for Tax credits, but have not heard a thing. So, no other income than this.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    k1mmie wrote: »
    Claiming JSA as a couple which is the £94.. My daughter is 19 and has literally just started work ( she could not afford to pay any keep after her outgoings and financial committments, but at least she is paying her way rather than us paying for her now). My other 2 children are 13,15 and at home. Applied for Tax credits, but have not heard a thing. So, no other income than this.

Child benefit?
    And if you've just applied for tax credits, what were you getting before JSA?
    Assuming you were working, didn't you get any tax credits whilst working? and if you were working, with an income too high to get tax credits then how come your water bill didn't get paid and you've ended up in this situation? :confused:
  • bonnie_2
    bonnie_2 Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    Options
    You should be getting £100 tax credits and £33 child benifit plus school dinners and rent and council tax paid. So hardly £94 a week.
  • k1mmie
    k1mmie Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Husband contracts so no regular work. But when he has the work we put the money aside to cover the periods he doesn't have work, but never signed on before as always had the funds to carry us over until next contract and it's good money when you get it. Never had a time when there has been a period of 3 months with no work before.

Applied for council tax credit and have interview this week so in progress.
    Have a mortgage so no rent assistance.
    Did not get tax credits as for that period his income was just over the limit, and did not have a problem then with the bills. However the bills have a habit of turning up on a regular basis (lol) and as he now has had no income since November this last bill is outstanding. So even though applied for tax credits - still waiting the chances are maybe we are not entitled for that period.

So for now we get £94. per week joint and sorry I did forget the child benefit for the two children.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    With regards the fund set up by the water companies - it's not actually a secret and the information is often sent out with the bills in the booklet about the company.

http://www.awtf.org.uk/

Other water companies have also set up this type of scheme, so it is definitely worth looking into for anyone struggling to pay their water bills.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure