We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Prepaid Card.. Credit Building option??

Hey,

Signed up to mycashplus so I could take advantage of their credit building option (http://www.mycreditbuilder.co.uk/default.aspx)

Are there any other Prepaid services like this or simular? Basically been out country for a while and come back so have NO credit rating, and looking to build up quickly.

Thanks for any suggestions
«1

Comments

  • sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    No, that is the only pre-paid credit builder. Have you tried a Sub-Prime card like Vanquis or Aqua?
  • sutton111 wrote: »
    No, that is the only pre-paid credit builder. Have you tried a Sub-Prime card like Vanquis or Aqua?

    Okay no problem, no I wont bother.. I literally have NO credit profile (not even a basic bank account at the moment).. I am working but starting from scratch as I've been out the country a long time.. Vanquis and Aqua wont even accept I dont think,
  • sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You could give them ago, you maybe surprised.

    There are also a varity of basic bank accounts as well which report to CRAs which will improve your credit standing also.

    You say you have been out the country for a while, are you live permanently in the UK now then?
  • sutton111 wrote: »
    You could give them ago, you maybe surprised.

    There are also a varity of basic bank accounts as well which report to CRAs which will improve your credit standing also.

    You say you have been out the country for a while, are you live permanently in the UK now then?

    Yes planning to.

    If I try and I get turned down, that's going to have a bad effect on my rating isnt it?

    At the moment I'm only registered on the electral role, my wages are paid into my brothers account as I have no account yet as I've not been able to provide any proof of address, I'm going to get my employer to write a letter I guess.
  • sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Being on the electoral will help your credit score!

    If you have been in and out of the country you will have a passport. Your passport along with you being on the electoral should be fine.

    I would open a basic account if i was you and build up a healthy internal score with that bank. HTH.
  • sutton111 wrote: »
    Being on the electoral will help your credit score!

    If you have been in and out of the country you will have a passport. Your passport along with you being on the electoral should be fine.

    I would open a basic account if i was you and build up a healthy internal score with that bank. HTH.

    Okay I'll give it a go, should I be honest when I say I've been out the country or shall I say I've been living at my house for X number of years? (just wondering if it effects credit)
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    A good basic account is either the Barclays Cash Card account or Halifax Easycash and both come with debit cards. My friend applied for the Halifax one and did not have to provide any ID. It reports to the credit reference agency too.
  • baz29
    baz29 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Hi do you know which banks will upgrade without doing an outside credit check?
  • sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Abbey dont check for upgrades.
  • My identity was stolen a couple of years ago and it messed up my credit history - after it was all sorted my credit history was wiped and all of a sudden I had no credit history.
    I was recommended to buy a couple of small items from a catalogue and pay for them outright - do this for a 2 or 3 months and then apply for credit from them - as you are already a trusted customer they will give you a tiny credit limit (£150/£200) but enough to get you started. Once you have credit it is easier to get more.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.