home extension builder troubles advice wanted pls

Options
I am hoping to get some help and advice. We are into the second week of building a single storey rear extension by a builder that was showcased on channel 4. The issues we are having is that on our initial meeting we were told that there would be no payment required upfront. On our second meeting when we discussed the contract and the work to be undertaken we were told that there would be a requirement of paying £2000 upfront, this was 10% of the final payment. We thought that this was reasonable as a way of the builder ensuring that we were genuine. As there are non paying clients as well. We agreed that we would pay £2000 every week for 6 weeks and then a final payment of £6000 at the end upon completion. As were paying £2000 upfront I agreed that we would pay £2000 in the first week with no payment on the second week but payments made on the following six weeks. Work started on Monday 12th and seemed to be taking place. However on the second day the boss of the company who we agreed the contract with came to us and told us that we need to pay £2000 on the following Monday because of cash flow problems. We had already paid him £4000 (£2000 in advance + £2000 on the first monday). We were very hesitant after a lot of discussions we agreed to pay just to ensure work would move on. We worried that they may move onto another job. The £2000 came out of the final payment. As a result we had to change the contract.

However it is now coming to the end of the second week. My main concern is that they will request payment on Monday as per the agreed weekly payments. However I am frustrated with progress of the work as the foundation trenches have not been completed or approved. Should I pay or do I have the right to hold payment until the footings have been built up to at least the dpc level.

They have also damaged two pipes; one cracked and they said they would replace the cracked pipe. The second pipe which cannot be seen but it is visible that is leaking because there is a trickle of water leaking into the trench. The said they would repair the leaking pipe with a filler. My concern is that this pipe would be part of the foundation so if it leaked after the build surely I would have problems with the foundations being soaked and possibly damp? Should I contact building control or the water company as it is not clear why the pipe is leaking what seems like clean water. The main two pipes that are visible are a sewer pipe which takes waste as well as a pipe for rainwater.

Finally my last concern is that the extension is being built at a lower part of the garden hence groundwater is running into the trenches as well. Is there anyway of drying this because currently the builders keep using buckets to take out the water. Water keeps filling the trenches. Surely they could use a pump. I am concerned that this may cause problems with the pouring of ready mix for the foundation. As there is a at least a couple of inches of water.

Hope it reads clearly and you could provide some advice/guidance. Look forward to reading your replies. THANKS

Comments

• Steve_the_fitter
    Options
    When you say showcased on channel 4. Do you mean on some bad builder type programme? If so surely you shouldnt give them any more money? If your worried about his work and you dont think he has spent the money you have already given him on your extension then dont give him any more. What does the contract say? Does he have to be at certain stages in order to get his 2k on a monday? I dont know much about building an extention but I do know I wouldnt give someone 2k if I wasnt confident in them. Seeing as a contract is involved I assume you better get in contact with your lawyer too. I dont want to scaremonger rouge tradesman as I am a tradesman myself and it can sometimes be hard getting the customers confidence but in this case it could be justified.
  • bonar
    bonar Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    do you mean the british builder on the programme about polish and british builders. A few years ago we had a loft conversion done, but once the work started we became suspicious, after claims for money, non delivery of building material and I called trading standards. They asked the name of the builder and then said "hold the line we think you may have a problem". the long and short of it was that we had to get rid of the builder, and were contacted by granada television to take part in builders from hell. we declined, we were so embarrassed, that we had been so naive.
    Please be very careful when handing over money, better to walk away after handing over £2k than when you have handed over £6k. good luck
  • slummymummyof3
    Options
    Unless you are seeing genuine progress on the works - don't pay anymore. Do however bear in mind that groundworks are one of the most expensive parts of a build and readymix is quite expensive.
    Good luck, hope the situation improves.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When was this Channel 4 programme shown? Did you know this builder had been shown on this programme? Just wondering as if you're only into the second week of the build if you knew he'd been on this programme why did you use him?

We're having major building works done at the moment and our builder wants three stage payments. We've paid over two already and it covers labour and materials for work that had already been carried out. We did not have to give him a deposit at all.

With regard to your damaged pipes. Do you have a good relationship with your building control officer? If so I'd get him out to have a look and give you some advice. Our BCO is brilliant and will come out at the drop of a hat if the builders want him to so they can get the OK to carry on with no hold ups.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't give them anymore money, you should stage the payments based on progress not time elasped.

ie Foudations in, up to DPC, walls up, roof fitted, water tight, finished.

Don't worry about the water in the trench, concreate sets in water.

Worry about your pipes! you can't "fill" a water main. If they dont fix the water pipe you won't have a problem with damp but you could have a problem with subsidence later!. Plus it will be your problem to fix the leak when discovered ie when a water meter is fitted.
  • MooMooRocks
    Options
    Every week you pay are they laying out what they are expected to do within that week ie by way of a jobs sheet, as the they are and they have not done their agreed amount then you should not pay them. It also seem like you are paying them a week in advance for the jobs and if they are not completed then you will be paying even more for susequent work thereafter
    I would lay out that you initially agreed on one plan and now they have changed it twice and it seems to you they are more interseted in the cash. As well as that as you are paying them they could easily walk away as they have took a sum of cash off you they would not be leaving with nothing and you would. By not paying them upfront you are guaranteed they will have carried out their job and if they walk away you have lost nothing!
    At the very least if your going to be paying them £2000 a week then you want to know what your getting for it and you will pay them at the end of the week when your satisfied not at the beginning as your trust element is already wavering and it is such a lot of cash you desrve to know what you are paying for. They should know on a week to week basis their jobs at hand and if something does go wrong within that week it is fair enough and you don't pay them for subsequent work until they have rectified those!!
  • wannamakeamil
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. The builder was on the programme comparing polish builders and an english builder. We are using the polish builder. On the programme his workmanship and attitude towards the job was good. As a result we decided to use him to build our extension. We have spoken to him and will be meeting with him to discuss the payment issue. I don't think we will be paying any money until the dpc is completed. Would it be worth informing the water company about the leaking water pipe?
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the leaking pipe is on your land (which it must be as it is in your foundations) its your problem not the water companys. Is it your suppliy pipe, when you turn of your stop tap in the street does the leak stop? what is the pipe made of? Plastic (should be blue) lead (if you scrape it with a knife it be shiny) iron (its hard and rusty!)

Does the pipe go on to supply any other houses?

If I remember rightly the polish builder was the one who nearly put an anglegrinder through a 80mm electric cable :eek::eek::eek:
  • wannamakeamil
    Options
    MX5huggy wrote: »

If I remember rightly the polish builder was the one who nearly put an anglegrinder through a 80mm electric cable :eek::eek::eek:

That was Terry the english builder who's family had been in the trade for over 100yrs.

It is not clear if it is a supply pipe because the main water pipe runs from the front of our property. Will be speaking to building control and see what they recommend. It seems as though it is a public sewer pipe which should be the property of the water company as house was built before 1937. Thanks
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are the customer, so you have the final say. The builders have damaged two pipes, they must fix it to your satisfaction. Withold money until you are satisfied, putting into writing why so there is a paper trail. As others have said, money on results not time. If they have cashflow problems that is their problem - you do not want to be left with a half-finished extension and a building company who has gone into receivership or skipped off back to Poland.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport