Paying for a Funeral?

Be_HappyBe_Happy Forumite
1.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
Can I ask for some advice on this problem please.

When my mother died recently I was shocked at the cost of the funeral. I had no idea they were so expensive. The funeral director wanted payment while my mother's funds were still frozen, but we were able to pay, so this was not a problem.

However, it has set me thinking about what would happen if my husband and I died at the same time eg a car crash. Our son certainly couldn't afford to pay for the funeral. I had been thinking about pre-paid funeral plans, but read so much negative comment that I gave up on them. Putting money into a joint account with our son could encounter problems eg if he divorced, or became bankrupt, so this is out too.

What is the best way to put money aside, hopefully keeping up with inflation, but more importantly, to be easily accessible to pay for a future funeral. Has anyone any ideas?

Replies

• CLAPTONCLAPTON Forumite
    41.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most / may all banks and building societies will release funds from the deceased estate for funeral expenses prior to probate
  • ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience an independant funeral director will be far more flexible about waiting for payment than one that is part of a chain or a franchise.
    Also insurance companies pay out quite quickly when presented with a death certificate.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just take out life insurance -
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • aurora_borealis_2aurora_borealis_2 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funeral plan.

Luckily my mum had taken these out for her and my dad.
    http://www.sunlifedirect.co.uk/guaranteed-over-50-plan/
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • johnswifejohnswife Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We have a lovely local funeral director and did not want a penny up front. He sent a lovely letter and it was quite a few weeks after the funeral before he sent the bill.
    Necklace, £500, Marquee, Tickets Home Improv show, Patternity Tights.tickets to Cruise Show,kindle cover, 2 tickets Brisfest. Tin of personalised chocolates.Hawking DVD, McCain voucher, clay modelling set,Chocolate, Book,Raleigh 125th Book.
    tickets to Gadget show, Hotel Spa break for 2 + £300
  • maypolemaypole Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Be_Happy wrote: »
    Can I ask for some advice on this problem please.

When my mother died recently I was shocked at the cost of the funeral. I had no idea they were so expensive. The funeral director wanted payment while my mother's funds were still frozen, but we were able to pay, so this was not a problem.

However, it has set me thinking about what would happen if my husband and I died at the same time eg a car crash. Our son certainly couldn't afford to pay for the funeral. I had been thinking about pre-paid funeral plans, but read so much negative comment that I gave up on them. Putting money into a joint account with our son could encounter problems eg if he divorced, or became bankrupt, so this is out too.

What is the best way to put money aside, hopefully keeping up with inflation, but more importantly, to be easily accessible to pay for a future funeral. Has anyone any ideas?

Is your father still alive? if so and if he is having trouble paying for the funeral, or if he is on income support he can get help, google DWP.
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be Happy: you had no idea funerals were so expensive. I would guess that the vast majority of people are the same! It's not something that most of us even think about, prefer not to.

Earlier generations were more realistic because they knew that death can happen to anyone at any age, not just to old people, and it would happen close to them, not at a distance in a hospital or care home. Many people who were poor would have 'enough to bury me' either in the form of an insurance policy or small savings.

I've had to think about this very recently since DH nearly died in October. We had long decided that we wanted a 'green burial' and I got a quote for this from a local funeral director (not all of them are 'clued up' about it). No limousines (people can use own cars), no flowers, no newspaper announcements, service at our local church, burial at a local green burial site, £2500.

Fortunately it wasn't necessary then, DH recovered. But we still have those plans in place. I don't intend to pay in advance for either of us, but we both have savings which would easily cover the costs, and when we say we're saving because we don't know what is around the corner, obviously that's one of the things!

I believe that the funeral director's bill can be sent to the person's bank and the bank will deal with it direct.

I have discovered the 'ins and outs' of being buried. In some cemeteries you can't be buried side by side, although that was what I was used to seeing in the village churchyard at home! You can have a grave reopened and a second coffin put on top of the first one. I told the funeral director I spoke to 'I don't like that idea, why can't we be buried side by side?' Well, we can, but only in certain 'green burial' sites, not in others, not in municipal cemeteries. What you do is, you buy the next-door piece of land at the time of the first funeral. So I said that's what I'd do. And continue saving!

As so few people give a thought to what happens at the end, is this the reason why cremation has become so popular, because no one thinks of an alternative (unless there is a cultural tradition of burial as against cremation?) I don't intend ever to attend another cremation funeral, not unless I really have to. The last one I went to, last spring, really freaked me out. Never again!
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the funeral director's bill can be sent to the person's bank and the bank will deal with it direct

Could you explain this a bit more? It's not something I've ever heard of and my understanding is that the person who arranges the funeral is responsible for paying for it.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Newly_retiredNewly_retired Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know there are some grants available but will get details next week when I am next able to look it up at CAB.
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Errata wrote: »
    Could you explain this a bit more? It's not something I've ever heard of and my understanding is that the person who arranges the funeral is responsible for paying for it.
    My mother's bank told me that if needed funeral and probate expenses paying before the funds were released, I should take the bill in to them. However, I didn't get the impression they pay them direct, I understood that they would write a cheque on the account that I could then send.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS