Taking your own food/drink to cinema

Options
1234568»

Comments

• omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    lucid2008 wrote: »
    It is like going to the pub to watch football on sky and taking a 24 can pack of beer with you :)

No it's not. The primary purpose of the cinema is to show films, just as the primary purpose of the pub is to sell drink. The food in the cinema is what's known as 'ancillary revenue', i.e. something they add on to make the business more profitable. In pub terms this would refer to things such as crisps and nuts; hence your analogy would read better saying 'it's like going to the pub [...] and taking a bag of quavers with you'.
  • paigexstewart
    Options
    We always sit in the gallery when we go to the cinema. £30 each and we get nachos, chocolate and a muffin and free drinks. To us that seems good, plus you pay not to be around people talking all the way though the film!

I can understand about some people not being able to afford treats in the cinemas, but I think cinema food is part of the experience.
    :j This year is my year 2009 :j
  • bibi_neko
    Options
    The only thing worth purchasing at the cinema imo is the nacho's with the cheesy dips n salsa. My local cinema asks you to open your bag and have a look in, but won't touch you, if you do have food they just confiscate and you can pick it up when you leave. Never had my bag checked at any of the Cineworlds i've been to nor a few VUE cinemas.

If I had to hand my bag in with no gurauntee that it's not just thrown to one side, then I rather not watch the movie.
  • stagasaurus
    Options
    I got annoyed the other day in Vue as my husband paid £9 for two portions of Nachos and a coke. I just felt this was a crazy price so having a bee in my bonnet I emailed them to ask why it cost so much. Here is their reply - with the very interesting fact that vue do let you take your own food!

Thank you for your recent feedback via myvue.com.
    Please see the response from Vue Customer services below:

Dear , Thank you for your email and I am sorry for any upset caused at the prices charged for the food and drinks sold within our cinemas. It is a generally well-reported fact that the majority of the money taken at the box office goes to the film maker/distributor; therefore in order to make cinemas a viable business all cinemas charge premium prices for the food and drinks sold. The alternative is to charge a higher price for tickets which would restrict more people from enjoying the cinema. However, this said we do aim to provide value and you will find a variety of combos and special offers that do save you money. Please note that you are able to bring your own food and drink into the cinema rather than purchasing from our confectionary stands. This is with the exception of hot food or alcohol. Once again I am sorry for any distress caused and I hope this answers your query. Kind regards, Guest Services
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    I remember waiting in a queue to see a film and half a dozen yoofs turned up with pizza's all cockey and swaggering thinking how cool they where and where told to eat it outside lol.

The one cinema I miss was on Acton High Street as it had a bar at the back so you'd order your drinks and take them to your seats and a table in between to place them on. Made for a nice evening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure