Taking your own food/drink to cinema

Options

Comments

• robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be happy to hand over any bags etc, provided I was issued with a receipt for bags and all the contents on an item by item basis.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    onetomany wrote: »
    do you know hun you can get a cea card hun if you are on dla? it entails whoever takes the named person to the cinema free entry, i use it for my son and yes we take our own sweets in [URL="http://www.ceacard.co.uk:j"]www.ceacard.co.uk:j[/URL]
    Thanks yes, I did know about that but we do not go to any of the more expensive 'big' films to be honest, just this Saturday one with hubby as no-one seems to mind if he makes a noise. Also, it means I cannot go on my own, just when there is someone to look after DS and as we do not have anyone to come with us it has to be when hubby is not working. I'll bear it in mind though as he gets used to it - just getting to the adverts is a nightmare, we have to feed him to keep him quiet and he always needs to use the loo and I do not think I'll be happy leaving DD there on her own.

I remember when this first started and we went ot a 'big film' I had to sit outside the doors with DS while DD was on the first seat inside the doors and she had to sit on her own for the whole film while I popped in every now and then, I felt so bad so this is why we don't go anymore but at that time we did not know he had problems. It's a shame as she missed HSM3 as we could never get there when hubby was off last year.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you can't sit still for ninety minutes without stuffing your gob please just rent a video and let cinema-goers watch their films in peace.
  • pukkamum
    pukkamum Posts: 3,942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apparently our local Vue has started looking in bags and PATTING YOU DOWN!!!!
    Surely they cannot touch you???
    The next time i go i will hide my sweets under boxes of sanitary wear, i'd like to see the spotty youth at our local pulling those out to get a good look underneath ha ha ha
    I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
  • PolishBigSpender
    Options
    I would be happy to hand over any bags etc, provided I was issued with a receipt for bags and all the contents on an item by item basis.

Of course, any manager with an ounce of common sense would remind you gently that you agreed when purchasing the ticket not to bring in any outside food and drink. In which case, you could either leave with no refund or hand over the bag.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • BargainGalore
    Options
    Its one of the reasons I never go to cinemas its bad enough spending £20 for a family to watch a flick but then have to pay a tenner for some popcorn and over priced coke. There is vast amount of profit in both of them, popcorn is so cheap to make

I prefer to watch flicks in comfit of my own home, thus saving £30 or there abouts. Okay I accept it may not be exact comparison, but I have a fairly big screen, surround sound and bottle of coke and even a pop corn maker
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    pukkamum wrote: »
    Apparently our local Vue has started looking in bags and PATTING YOU DOWN!!!!

I would leave if they did that to me. Talk about disrespect.
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh dear, this thread brought back a haunting memory.

Back in the early '70s when I was dating my wife to be, I took her to the local cinema. She insisted on me buying her a box of maltesers from the sweet shop next door before we went in.

Halfway through the film, she just had to pick one of those rare quiet passages in the film to open up the box. First, the audience were treated to the frenetic rustling of cellophane as she attemped to gain entry to the box. Then a staccato popping noise as she broke through the perforated seams of the box lid, followed by a brief moment of silence only to be followed by ...

... the box slipping out of her hands ... and all the maltesers rolling and bouncing down the tiered aisles creating a soundtrack like a machine gun!

We slunk out of that cinema under cover of darkness, never to return again.:o

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • facingthefuture
    Options
    You do realise that at this time, it's exceptionally selfish to not purchase food in the cinema? Very little, if any of the ticket price will go to the cinema - most/all of their profit is made from additional merchandise such as food and drink.

But then again, I guess you people will be the first to complain when the cinema in your hometown closes down.

What kind of example is it to set to your children when the rules clearly state "No food and drink", yet you willfully encourage them to break the rules?

I take your point BUT I think people will understandably take foodstuffs in since they are being utterly ripped of by the prices. If the cinemas were not so extortionate this would not happen. I have 2 young children and taking them to the cinema is rare because it costs about £12 before food - do you really expect me to deprive them of the cinema experience because of an extortionate food pricing policy? Nope, and I don't feel guilty either.
  • SueMaggie
    SueMaggie Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    Options
    Last time I went to our local Vue (to a free preview screening) a family of 5 came in, sat behind me and proceeded to eat a full Indian takeaway meal using plastic plates and cutlery they'd brought with them.

As well as the smell, the noise was horrendous.

I like a curry myself, but it's really inconsiderate to bring one to the pictures with you.:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure