We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

4 year bonus

Options
Just a quick one, my husband was entitled to sign for his bonus a year ago but decided not to as he thought that if he left it when he does finally leave the army that will be included in his lump sum or would then get it tax free, i'm sure he was told wrong so is it best he finally goes and signs for it now rather than defer it

Comments

• mrsfarnie
    Options
    I would go for it! Have a nice holiday! I went to Jamaica with mine, my husband and me went to Antigua with his and his sister stupidly bought a horse with hers!!
  • Sparky29
    Sparky29 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    strong96 wrote: »
    Just a quick one, my husband was entitled to sign for his bonus a year ago but decided not to as he thought that if he left it when he does finally leave the army that will be included in his lump sum or would then get it tax free, i'm sure he was told wrong so is it best he finally goes and signs for it now rather than defer it

As far as I know these are retention incentives because so many young lads think the grass is going to be greener and get out after four years and they have nothing to do with other lump sum payments or pension.
  • strong96
    strong96 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    so i got to tell him to go sign for it even though he was entitled to it last april, oh well better late than never
  • Geezer_BJ
    Options
    I don't know if the army have the same rules, but the RAF have changed their retention bonuses. Now, the longer you leave it before you claim, the more you get. Not 100% on the exact figures but I believe if you leave it 8 years, its around £15k.
    Worth asking the scribblies anyway !
  • strong96
    Options
    hmmm interesting, not sure anyone on our camp is intelligent to know though
  • Bluebird24
    Options
    There isn't any mention of it going up with time on the website, and I presume they'd make it be known if it means it actually achieves its aim and retains soldiers for longer.

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/terms/1135.aspx#Financial_Retention_Incentives
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Geezer_BJ wrote: »
    I don't know if the army have the same rules, but the RAF have changed their retention bonuses. Now, the longer you leave it before you claim, the more you get. Not 100% on the exact figures but I believe if you leave it 8 years, its around £15k.
    Worth asking the scribblies anyway !

I thought that was only coming in from Apr 09?
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • Geezer_BJ
    Options
    could well be .. I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to the details as it doesn't really affect me.
    worth more investigation though if you may be entitled
  • strong96
    Options
    signed for the 4 yr bonus yesterdayand clerk said there was another bonus of 2.5k entitled to sign for so wow was a good thing i went in. now its signed for how long roughly will it take to go to bank?
  • Geezer_BJ
    Options
    why didn't you ask the clerk when you signed ? !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport