How much does it cost to keep a cat?

Options

Comments

• Tori_Bellatrix
    Tori_Bellatrix Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    avfc4life wrote: »
    Is the Cat Protection League where you brought them from a charity. If so you can get them neutered for half price. A bed isnt really needed. I have 3 cats and they all just sleep wherever. Probably on need about 1 cat litter tray as most cats prefer to go outside to do their business. Any cheap plastic plates & bowls will do for their food drink. Cats can be costly. Last year i spent over £1000 on one cat as it was ill and has some hormonal problems but do i regret it? Not one bit! Im sure everyone on here would agree they are worth every penny. Hope you enjoy your 2 new members of the family:D

Absolutely .... [IMG]http://smileys.!!!!!!/cat/16/16_1_23.gif[/IMG]
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cats should have had their vaccinations and been wormed/de-flead etc before you collected them from the CPL. Did they not give you any vaccination certificates? I should double check with them that this has been done before you go and see your vet.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • ashleyrossuk
    ashleyrossuk Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied, when i picked the cats up they had just been brought in that day, i was told that due to lack of funding they were unable to give cats thier vacinations, flea treatment or worming and no microchip. They were nutered previously so at least this is one less expense.
  • keelykat
    keelykat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ashleyrossuk

As others have said already-dont go spending loads on beds etc! fleecey blankets are great-and can pick them up cheaply. I always shop around when buying scratching posts, bowls etc-i found the bigger pet stores were more expensive! our cats sleep on the bed, settee, my blankets folded up on bed lol....usually places you dont want them to!

Please make sure you do vaccinate, flea treatment etc-def worth the money. My rescue cat had been vaccinated, but had fleas-so needed a good brushing and de flea-ing!

Enjoy your new kitties!

keely.
    Mommy to Elliot (5) and Lewis (born xmas eve 11!)
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Good on you for taking in the two cats

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.--Joseph Wood Krutch
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    suzanne72 wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind me asking exactly how much you did pay for the cats??

I know the RSPCA charges around £80 per cat which regardless of the jabs / microchip is just too expensive. The priority should be finding loving homes for them not extorting money. (that's just my opinion!)
    *splutters cuppa over monitor*

If you can't/won't pay a measly £80 for a cat which will have received much more than £80 worth of care from a CHARITY then I suspect you won't be too hot on paying for necessary care and treatment either ... The priority IS finding good homes, but a good home is one where money won't be an issue when it comes to proper ongoing care. Why do you think everyone gets so upset about people putting their pets in the free ads? :wall:
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    suzanne72 wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind me asking exactly how much you did pay for the cats??

I know the RSPCA charges around £80 per cat which regardless of the jabs / microchip is just too expensive. The priority should be finding loving homes for them not extorting money. (that's just my opinion!)

Too expensive??? So what exactly do you think they should be charging?

Bearing in mind the cost of all the treatment they would have received prior to being rehomed, I think that is a very reasonable price for a cat! It would almost certainly cost you more to go to your own vets to have it all done.

Example prices from my own vet, who btw, I consider to be very cheap actually ...

Cat/Kitten vaccination course (inc FeLV) - £30
    Microchipping - £15
    Flea/Worming treatment - £5
    Cat spey - £40
    Cat castration - £25

So total vet costs alone there would be £75/£90 depending whether it was a male/female cat, then you also need to consider the cost of feeding and housing the cat whilst in it's in the rescue shelter so they're hardly making massive profits!

I paid £20 each for my 2 cats from a local lady who took in 7 abandoned cats and she had paid for their vet bills.

BTW I think it's great to take it abandoned cats, just think the fees are too much.

When you say she had paid all their vet bills, had she done everything included in the list above? If so, then you are one extremely lucky person to have had someone else foot the bulk of the vets bills, but there's not many people around who can afford to be so generous, especially charities!
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • keelykat
    keelykat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a rescue cat-who's cost us loads since having her....but i knew the hidden costs that can be involved with pets such as cats. i love her to bits and would never have changed a thing. why should a charity pay for everything? they dont have enough money as it is! If you want a cat or dog-make sure you reasise that things can go wrong and this equals vet bills etc. if you dont want to pay to look after them-then dont have them in he first place!

keely.
    Mommy to Elliot (5) and Lewis (born xmas eve 11!)
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Food!!
    1 litter tray - they need to be cleaned regularly

A scratching post or wood that they can scratch on - the old bird feeding thing that was in the garden is a favourite here...

Food bowls and water bowls....if you can't afford anything yet - plastic tubs/plastic take away tubs would be fine

Toys - my cats LOVE scrunched up paper...cheap and can get thrown away!!

An old jumper or fleece for cats is great...don't worry about posh beds, there's nothing nicer then sleeping somewhere they aren't meant to!!

Cat brush for long haired cats is essential.

If you buy a collar, make sure it's one that snaps if caught so puss cat can escape.

I'm surprised at the CP not vaccinating their cats...and to let a cat out that has only been in a day, unless they didn't have room for them, but they would normally monitor them briefly and vaccinate them.

Honestly, the donation required is desperately needed to continue providing a service for other cats that need help. What about the cats that spend months or years in rescue who funds them??

I have M&S insurance and a trip or two covers the annual cost, not that you'd want to use it but has been a huge money and mind saver for us!
    x
  • asea
    asea Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    I got a ten year old from the Mayhew.. I shopped around for insurance quotes (spent 6 hours calling each & everyone!) Try calling Sainsburys and asking for a quote, they undercut all of the other insurance quotes & were really good

I can't believe the poster that is begrudging the cat charities.. do you honestly think that they make ANY profit anyway? the priority should be finding loving homes? and who will pay for them while they do? and how much will that cost? extorting money? what an attitude!
    nothing to see here, move along...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport