We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Virgin Credit card = awsome

Having just come out of the MBNA Platinum 0% balance transfer period, which I forgot, I recieved a bill for £70 intererst! :T :o


So took up the virgin credit card, bloody helpful, increased my credit limit, transferred the money there and then, March 2010 = interest free! Direct debit set up to ensure I never miss a payment (else the 0% expires).

So 12 months to pay it off!

Sorry but I do love MBNA. All their numbers are 0800, they also have a callback feature, great if you're calling off your mobile.

:beer:

Comments

  • Just don't let them talk you into taking out their outragously overpriced payment protection insurance which they will use high pressure sales tactics to push at every opportunity.
  • nj106 wrote: »
    Having just come out of the MBNA Platinum 0% balance transfer period, which I forgot, I recieved a bill for £70 intererst! :T :o


    So took up the virgin credit card, bloody helpful, increased my credit limit, transferred the money there and then, March 2010 = interest free! Direct debit set up to ensure I never miss a payment (else the 0% expires).

    So 12 months to pay it off!

    Sorry but I do love MBNA. All their numbers are 0800, they also have a callback feature, great if you're calling off your mobile.

    :beer:

    I thought since the Virgin Credit was part of MBNA doing a balance transfer from another MBNA account was not allowed.
  • Hippyer
    Hippyer Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'm applying with these.
    I have 3 current credit cards.
    Is it in my interest to tell them in the application or not?

    Halifax limit £1750, outstanding £1000
    Nat West limit £1250, outstanding £1000
    Sainsburys Bank limit £4100, outstanding £0

    Should I leave sainsburys bank off?
    Will they think.... why does he need a credit card if he has this available?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    darkcloudi wrote: »
    I thought since the Virgin Credit was part of MBNA doing a balance transfer from another MBNA account was not allowed.
    Probably cleared it via a 'money transfer', ie super balance transfer.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Hippyer wrote: »
    Is it in my interest to tell them in the application or not?
    If it's online, I'd enter the details. If you're applying by phone then, as my parents used to say, "speak when you're spoken to!" ;)
  • To get around the credit cards that are part of the same banking group- for example Virgin and MBNA you can request Virgin to send the amount you want to transfer to your current account, pay the balance transfer fee (usually 3%) then transfer the money yourself via a payment from your bank account. That way you benefit from the 0% for whatever the period is and the bank is happy.

    I did this at Virgin's suggestion as wanted to transfer from MBNA...:p
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.