Bought my rented TV, saved a packet.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
21 replies 2.6K views
BoomdockerBoomdocker Forumite
1.2K Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
We have rented a widescreen sanyo tv, video and dvd player for years paying around £50 a month. We took it all apart and said you can come and collect it now so that we could buy a new one to stop paying that high rental fee. It helped us at the time though to rent but as these packages are much cheaper now it seems better value to buy.

Anyhow they phone us up and say as we have rented for so long we can instead of paying our £50 for this month pay a one off £80 payment to purchase all three pieces and thats it! They are now ours! No more rent fees!

So if you still rent it may be worth an enquiry.
Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00

Replies

• RikkiRikki Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the same thing many years ago. It was the first big item I owned in my rented accommadation.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • impecuniousimpecunious Forumite
    207 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Not surprised that you were given it! You've been paying £600 pa for years? Exactly how many years? As a person of limited income myself, I can appreciate the need to spread the cost of things, but to rent instead of buying in installments or on HP is plain daft imho.

As for the £80, well, we paid £70 for a few months old 28" widescreen TV, a dvd player can be bought brand new for £30 (or less) and as for vcr's, well, you can pick one up for a couple of quid at any car boot these days.

But glad you're happy!!!
    If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 6 hours sharpening my axe
  • BoomdockerBoomdocker Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I know its mad isnt it. But it took me joining here to even realise. I think you sign up to these things when it seems like a good idea at the time (and at the time it was) but then forget to review them. I had the attitude when it was rented that if it breaks they'll just replace it but as you say they are relatively cheap now in comparison.

Just another example of wasteful overpaying that I could kick myself for.
    207 Posts
    ✭✭
    Boomdocker wrote:
    I know its mad isnt it. But it took me joining here to even realise. I think you sign up to these things when it seems like a good idea at the time (and at the time it was) but then forget to review them. I had the attitude when it was rented that if it breaks they'll just replace it but as you say they are relatively cheap now in comparison.

Just another example of wasteful overpaying that I could kick myself for.

But at least you now realise that these companies prey on those that have sweet F.A. with the lure of fancy items and charge the earth for them and that's what counts, my friend. And you certainly don't have any need to kick yourself any more than the rest of us on MSE about overpaying. Personally, if I kicked myself for the lack of knowledge I had before I joined this forum, I would be black and blue all over!!! :-)
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Last summer, me and Mr Judi went to stay with some friends of ours. I saw them putting money in the back of the television and guessed it must have a slot meter. They didnt have the tele on much, but when they did, they were feeding it £1 coins at an alarming rate. When i mentioned the frequency of having to feed it, they reconned it was ok, cause in 2 years time it would be theirs. It was a bog standard tele, nothing special about it at all and they were feeding it £1's like it was going out of fashion. It doesnt bear thinking about at the amount of coins they would have fed it.
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Appreciate that impecunious - thanks. :beer:

Judi - are you serious, TV's with a money slot?! How strange :confused:
  • Poppy9Poppy9 Forumite
    18.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Renting white goods can be good for student accommodation. A washing machine can be hired for as little as £13 per month. If it breaks the rental company have to sort out. For multiple occupied houses it can work out for less than £1 per person week.

This site only covers Oxfordshire but the prices are good.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Boomdocker wrote:
    Appreciate that impecunious - thanks. :beer:

Judi - are you serious, TV's with a money slot?! How strange :confused:

Yes very serious!
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, you live and learn :eek:
    207 Posts
    ✭✭
    This article is on rental televisions and includes the coin-operated option. As someone who was brought up on a council estate during the 1970's & 80's, it certainly evoked some memories!

http://www.transdiffusion.org/emc/halcyondays/1970s/rentals.php
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores