Foreigner entitled to ISA?

Options
Hi,

I'm a little confused by how an ISA works. I have one myself but my girlfriend also wants to take one out. She is Japanese and has been here for 10 months on a student visa. She has worked either part or full time for all that period, alongside her studies (And pays tax on her earnings)

Therefore, can she take out an ISA - and would she benefit from this? Or would her normal savings be tax free?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• cocktail
    cocktail Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    tokyophil wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a little confused by how an ISA works. I have one myself but my girlfriend also wants to take one out. She is Japanese and has been here for 10 months on a student visa. She has worked either part or full time for all that period, alongside her studies (And pays tax on her earnings)

Therefore, can she take out an ISA - and would she benefit from this? Or would her normal savings be tax free?

Thanks

Phil
    she can take out an ISA as she is resident.
    u said that she pays tax on her earnings , so i presume she earns above the tax threshold. income from savings is taxed so yes she will benefit from the ISA's tax free status.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If she has a National Insurance number she can have an ISA. It's a good general rule!
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • tokyophil
    Options
    Cheers - good to confirm that :-)
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I disagree. She has to be Ordinarily Resident in the UK. If she is a student here on a temporary basis, this is extremely unlikely. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/isa-factsheet.htm

Why does she want one though? Unless the income will be greater than £2,000 a year she can keep her savings outside the UK (as she is not domiciled here) and pay zero UK tax?
  • tokyophil
    Options
    Japanese savings rate were less than 0.5% at their peak before the financial crisis - makes sense to leave them here and earn some interest.

Will see what the bank says about her ISA - best way to find out!
  • agsnu
    agsnu Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    Options
    tokyophil wrote: »
    Japanese savings rate were less than 0.5% at their peak before the financial crisis - makes sense to leave them here and earn some interest.

Ah, but if you moved your Japanese savings in Yen to a Sterling account paying 5% before the financial crisis, they'd probably still be worth at least 30% less....

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=GBPJPY=X#chart1:symbol=gbpjpy=x;range=1y;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined
  • tokyophil
    Options
    Fair point, but not sure if the rate will drop much worse than it is now. Planning to leave them in an account for a while so hopefully the markets will have stabilized a bit by then....

Also, we're planning on staying in this country so ultimatley need the money here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure