Opening an account with no photo ID?

Options
My sister wants to open up a bank account, she used to have one with Lloyds but not sure what happened there. She hasn't got much debt, just a social fund loan I think. Anyway she wants to open a bank account, just a basic one but she has no photo ID at all. Can she just take letters to prove who she is? She might have her birth certificate as well.

Thanks and sorry it's all a bit vague :)
:heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
I :heart2: my doggies

Comments

• book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    Just apply for a photo ID (either a provisional/full driving license or passport). It will come within 1-2 weeks. It's quite easy to do anyway.

For example, Barclays Cash Card account (basic account) allows the following ID besides photo ones:
    • DWP HM Revenue & Customs invitation letter with NI number and NI card
    • family tax credit letter/book
    Please note, it depends on the bank. Go onto a banks website, or get brochures to see what ID is needed.
  • fullstop
    fullstop Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    Has she got any utility bills with her address on?
    "When the Government borrows, the citizen has to save".

Machiavellii
  • naijapower
    naijapower Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on the bank and the type of ID she has, they may be able to help. Advise her to go into branch direct
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    The Co-op have a huge ID list especially for their Cashminder account, I am sure she will be able to pull enough together to satisfy them of her identity.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    Natwest's list: http://www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/g2/switching-to-us.ashx#tabs=section4

Ignore the bit about switching, the list applies to anyone wanting to open a new current account.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, i'll tell her to pop into the local bank, there's at Natwest just a few minutes away and see if they can open one up without photo ID.

She wont pay for photo ID, there's only certain things my sister will use her money for, namely weed and beer :mad:

She's only opening an account now because my mum and dad are sick of having her money paid into their accounts.
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • maxsquared
    Options
    When I applied my Halifax Easycash account, I didn't need any ID at all, they just sent me the card and the pin.
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    hayley11 wrote: »
    Thanks, i'll tell her to pop into the local bank, there's at Natwest just a few minutes away and see if they can open one up without photo ID.

She wont pay for photo ID, there's only certain things my sister will use her money for, namely weed and beer :mad:

She's only opening an account now because my mum and dad are sick of having her money paid into their accounts.

I guess you could pay for her to get a photo ID. :p

Here's a list of basic bank accounts and their product names, so she could have a look. http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf
  • steveteach
    Options
    I don't have any photo ID and have opened many types of accounts over the past few years. Just check the website for the types of ID they will accept, usually utility bills etc. I know it's difficult for people living with parents to gather the required evidence of who they are.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    I don't think you need photo id to open a bank account.
    An old style driving licence is ok and if you ask different banks they will have different documents but it is possible. Just ask for a leaflet for their requirements.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure