Disability Premium -who qualifies?

Options
12346»

Comments

• brendang_2
    Options
    hi, just wondering about these types of benefits and if im entitled to any of them,im on low rate dla and have been for years and last august i was moved from WRA ESA Group to Support Group ESA (income based) and i get some sort of premium which tops my payments up,does this mean i am entitled to any extra benefits or am i just having a bout of wishful thinking,thanks in advance
  • scottnsharon
    Options
    Hi all, Ive posted several things about my situation with dis prem, and am posting again to encourage people to claim who might be overlooked.
    My wife and I are both on high rate care dla, is, ib, and get help with rent etc, I only recently got a computer and thought maybe I could log into my dwp account to help me budget better, found I couldnt but was offered a benefit check on the directgov website. the figures it came up with were a lot different to what we were receiving, so I called the number provided (0800882200 - benefit enquiry line help and advice for disabled people) where after a few questions the lady said that we should have been receiving severe disability premium enhanced-couples rate since the latest dla award (august 2008) and not only that but we would be entitled to all the money backdated! She emailed our local office who sent an IS10 form which literally needs five ticks and a signature and posted it back. It did get lost once but they soon found it (this was probably a week ago) and today they have paid the arrears from Aug 2008 - Jan 2011 and Friday we can expect the arrears from Jan 2011 to date. We are still in shock - and would urge anyone on mid/high rate dla who also gets a means tested benefit like is or hb to give them a call and find out! I have also read that they are stopping or at least changing the disability premium in April this year so if you find out you were entitled to it after then you wont be able to get any backdated awards.
    Good Luck, and thanks again to those that helped me through this 'mine-field' in the first place (people have put some really useful links and info on my previous posts called 'disability premium help please') Regards Scott
  • Hi everyone,this is my first ever time in a forum...And here is my dilemma...I am currently recieving Higher and medium rate D.L.A and originally i had a severe disability premium,a few months ago a friend became my carer and i lost my premium..which ofcourse i didnt mind as she was more than entitled to apply for carers allowance,however she has informed me recently that she can no longer be my carer and im just wondering if anybody knows how this will affect me?? will i get the SD premium back??:A Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,this is my first ever time in a forum...And here is my dilemma...I am currently recieving Higher and medium rate D.L.A and originally i had a severe disability premium,a few months ago a friend became my carer and i lost my premium..which ofcourse i didnt mind as she was more than entitled to apply for carers allowance,however she has informed me recently that she can no longer be my carer and im just wondering if anybody knows how this will affect me?? will i get the SD premium back??:A Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)
    As long as your situation is the same as it was before you had your carer then you will be paid the SDp again
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    To anyone new to this forum and reading through this thread, when you get to this post instead of hitting reply with your own circumstances please start a new thread of your own. Benefits entitlement and rates are changed on an almost weekly basis these days and the information here is well out of date. Please start a new thread detailing your query rather than rely on information you may have incorrectly learned here. Thank you. :) Or if a mod could close it please, that would be better. :)
  • Madeleine2
    Madeleine2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 29 April 2012 at 12:23PM
    Options
    My son has been on for him what is now Higher Rate DLA since 2. He was awarded IB at 16. His IB is mad up of:-

Basic Rate £99.15
    Incapacity Age Addition £11.70

I know he is not entitled to the Severe Disability Premium as I am in receipt of Carers Allowance, but should he be getting the basic Disability Premium?

If he is entitled to the basic Disability Premium should that have been added to his IB automatically or should I have claimed for the Disability Premium in its own right?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Madeleine
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • mynameistallulah
    Options
    Anubis wrote: »

Please stop quoting this - the guidance you refer to is for Housing Benefit i.e. a means tested benefit. Those with an entitlement to long term IB will have the DP included in any assessment for means tested benefits, but if the means tested amount is lower than the IB amount, no premium will be payable.
  • bjorky
    bjorky Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    You can only get it if your on middle rate or higher DLA Mobility and ask for Income Support Top Up, extra £130 a week i was told, i am disabilied buy i dont get the disability premuim as am not on IS
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2012 at 8:42PM
    Options
    Please stop quoting this - the guidance you refer to is for Housing Benefit i.e. a means tested benefit. Those with an entitlement to long term IB will have the DP included in any assessment for means tested benefits, but if the means tested amount is lower than the IB amount, no premium will be payable.

Yes, I linked to the wrong page. However, people on long term IB can get the disability premium (subject to mt income) - so it is still correct info, just the wrong link sorry!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/financialsupport/otherbenefitsandsupport/dg_068683
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure