Water Meter - HELP!

I am moving into an old property in a weeks time - i currently rent and will be continuing renting. My new properties rateably value is 74 - which means my water bills will be £60 and my sewage £150.

this is great but the water supply company essex and suffolk water are telling me that from the first of november it has become compulsary to have a water meter fitted to properies when someone new moves in.

this will increase my water bills by £80 a year which is a lot of money for a single person.

is there any way i can apeal this? is it definately compulsory?

they were a little bit abrupt with me and said tough luck basically so am a bit peeved!
#113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000

Comments

• apcorbett
    apcorbett Posts: 161 Forumite
    Are you sure that it will really increase that much?

I used to pay £250 a year for water and sewerage in a two-bed maisonette without a water meter, yet I'm now on around £150 a year for both in a two-bed house with one!
    Andy Corbett

• Hi funkymonkey,
    If I was you, I would double check the info you have been given. Try telephoning again, you may well get a different person with hopefully a different explanation. My experience of having a water meter installed is only good. On the whole, I think people are generally 'scared' when they hear the word 'meter' mentioned but at least you are only paying for what you use this way. I was under the impression that it was only 'newbuilds' that had to have a water meter installed. Do try ringing the water company again, I'll be surprised if you can't make a saving on your water bill by having a meter. Good Luck - Sallysaver
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    You cannot possibly know how much extra it will cost you with a meter fitted as you don't know how much water you will be using.

I would be very surprised if one person would have metered water charges of £290pa (£150 + £60 + £80)
  • sorry i should have given more info.

i previous lived in a one bedroom flat that had a meter. My water charge for a year - metered was £110 and my sewage was £175

i now live in a non metered one bed house with a rateable value of 125 so water bill is £98 and sewage is £170

new property is a small old cottage. Rv of 74 - very low so water bill will be £60 - £70 and my sewage will be £155 a year.

if i go back to a meter and pay total of £285 thats £70 to £80 a year more. thats just going back to my previous usage on a meter. I do tend to use a lot of water - just silly things like my cats will only drink from the washing up bowl so i fill it up every night for them to drink from. There is also only in a bath in the cottage and no shower, but i do have a water butt for the garden which will be good. I will just have to cut down.
    #113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000
  • pixie1
    pixie1 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I would call OFWAT and ask if they can compulsory meter you as they still have an rv to bill you by. They will know for defo. Ive never heard of this before but i havent worked for a water company for a few years, normally compulsory metering is when the property has changed so much the rv just isnt realistic or when an rv isnt available (props built after 1990)
    :jDebt Free At Last!:j
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    They cant compulsory meter you unless you have say a swimming pool installed, the property could be already metered but the current occupiers arnt paying on the meter as they would of had 12 months to opt out from fitting but if someone else moves in then they automaticaly go on the meter
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,936 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I live in a compulsary metering area. this means that whenever a property has a new owner the water company install a meter. All new builds have a meter. Any house already fitted with a meter the new occupier has to use it. Any house changing hands and they fit a meter before they start the contract with you so you have no choice.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Blimey thats a bit bad never knew they were compulsory metering like that !
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    silvercar wrote:
    I live in a compulsary metering area. this means that whenever a property has a new owner the water company install a meter. All new builds have a meter. Any house already fitted with a meter the new occupier has to use it. Any house changing hands and they fit a meter before they start the contract with you so you have no choice.

I don't think that is in dispute if you buy a property, but does that apply to the OP who is renting?

For instance I might not have a meter in my low RV house and with a dozen kids and as a heavy water user it suits me to remain on a meter. If I let my house does the tenant have to have a meter fitted? If so I would keep the account in my name and get the tenant to pay me!
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I dont think it will go up. I'm also with Essex and Suffolk water and I've been on a meter for about 3 and a half years. There are 3 of us living here and the annual water bill is £200 per year. Surely it will be less for one person?
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills