PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Preserver's Year

Options

Comments

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,660 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had to pick all the tomatoes from my bushes last week because the wind and rain battered them to bits!!

I have them on my windowledge HAd over 14 lbs - but keep finding brown patches so throwing them out one by one.

Any ideas for green tomatoe preserves - I've never made preserves of any sort before - so something foolproof if poss lol

Thanks

Milann
    January spends - £587.58
  • ELIZA_D
    ELIZA_D Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    made 3 jars of plum jam that i felt happy with

just making ginger and plum chutney from the tesco website and am so far happy with the aroma !
    maybe i am getting the knack !
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    milann,

Try this one:
    (won't let me post link, it's on the BBC good food site)

I always use Delia Smiths one from an old book of hers it used to be online but isn't now, however it looks the same.

I agree with the comments that it can be quite runny so l strain off alot of liquid when the chutney looks thick enough. It is gorgeous for Christmas with cold meat and in sandwiches.

Happy moneysaving all.
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,660 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sassyblue

Thanks will look it up and give it a go

Milann
    January spends - £587.58
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    no - I mean it's too runny :D

you don't have to cook chutney til it's thick if you don't want too, i never do as i prefer some texture to mine all a matter of preference, but it doesn't make a difference to it's keeping abilities
  • MoradoJess
    MoradoJess Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    My nan makes cherry plum jam, is the best jam I've ever tasted.
    It has a marmalade texture and a sharper taste than the more traditional jams :D
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Confuzzled wrote: »
    you don't have to cook chutney til it's thick if you don't want too, i never do as i prefer some texture to mine all a matter of preference, but it doesn't make a difference to it's keeping abilities

I know but it was more like ketchup :rotfl: Actually my husband prefers it runny-ish for his ploughman's but these are for presents and I wanted them thicker. Started off with 8 jars but had to boil it down so much, only have 7 now. Strange, same recipe as before but these plums were incredibly juicy......................or perhaps when i usually make it, I use plums that are incredibly dry :D
  • npsmama
    npsmama Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just found out that preserving rhubarb is very, very easy: cut rhubarb into chunks. Place in a sterilised Kilner-type jar. Pour cold water in jar. Place rubber ring in position. Close jar. Store it upside down and voila! The acidity of the rhubarb preserves it.
    :j
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."
  • Janine2225
    Options
    I dont know whether its best to post this here on on a seperate thread but figured this was a good a place as any.
    Might sound like a silly question but can I make marmalade from satsumas/clementines?
    I know you can do marmalades from lemon, lime, grapefruit and the standard orange but never seen it done with satsumas. I only ask as the ones we got from the market last week were rather large and my youngest is reluctant to eat them as they look more like oranges.
    Has anyone here done it or know if it's possible?
    Many thanks.
  • npsmama
    npsmama Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Janine2225 wrote: »
    I dont know whether its best to post this here on on a seperate thread but figured this was a good a place as any.
    Might sound like a silly question but can I make marmalade from satsumas/clementines?
    I know you can do marmalades from lemon, lime, grapefruit and the standard orange but never seen it done with satsumas. I only ask as the ones we got from the market last week were rather large and my youngest is reluctant to eat them as they look more like oranges.
    Has anyone here done it or know if it's possible?
    Many thanks.

Yes, you can.
    just be aware that the result won't be as flavoursome that's all.
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport