are air bricks useful for back boiler flue?

Options
hi folks
my friend told me the following regarding the lead up to him getting a new boiler. the thing about air bricks (see below) seems a bit odd to me but i am not an engineer and it may make perfect sense. maybe ther is someone there qualified to comment.

he had a baxi bermuda back boiler (co-incidentally the same as i). it seemed to work perfectly well but was told by an engineer that air bricks were needed (presumably in the chimney). whether or not it was unsafe without this i don't know. anyway, he decided he didn't want (the hassle of) the air bricks and, as the boiler was 25 years old , he had a new condensing combi boiler. it seems that works fine, but it may have been a bit expensive. he told me the name of the installer but it may be best that i don't state that here. clearly the chimney needs to be clear for the back boiler flue. but it seems to me that the effect of air bricks would be absolutely minimal. so, as i say it seems a bit odd to me. i am curious in case i get told the same thing about my boiler. i'd be interested to hear comments ...
thanks
krishing

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The room that an open gas fire is in (In most cases) needs an air brick or similar in an outside wall to allow air into the room for safe combustion.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    krishing wrote: »
    hi folks
    my friend told me the following regarding the lead up to him getting a new boiler. the thing about air bricks (see below) seems a bit odd to me but i am not an engineer and it may make perfect sense. maybe ther is someone there qualified to comment.

he had a baxi bermuda back boiler (co-incidentally the same as i). it seemed to work perfectly well but was told by an engineer that air bricks were needed (presumably in the chimney). whether or not it was unsafe without this i don't know. anyway, he decided he didn't want (the hassle of) the air bricks and, as the boiler was 25 years old , he had a new condensing combi boiler. it seems that works fine, but it may have been a bit expensive. he told me the name of the installer but it may be best that i don't state that here. clearly the chimney needs to be clear for the back boiler flue. but it seems to me that the effect of air bricks would be absolutely minimal. so, as i say it seems a bit odd to me. i am curious in case i get told the same thing about my boiler. i'd be interested to hear comments ...
    thanks
    krishing

Good afternoon: Undersized Combustion Ventilation as detailed here
    and discussed on a couple of threads.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • krishing
    krishing Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    hi folks
    thanks for your replies.
    krishing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income