Water heater: 24hrs or off peak only?

Options
Hi,

May seem a very simple question but have got myself a bit confused! I have economy 7 with electric heater (oso direct RD125 tank). Have 2 switches on the wall for off-peak and peak (don't seem to have a boost or immersion switch).
Trying to save on bills and thought that could turn the peak switch off and just use the water heated overnight (have a separate electric shower and don't use bath really).
Seen a few posts that suggest it's cheaper to keep on 24hrs as costs more to reheat the tank of water then keep at a steady temp. Not sure if that's right. Also seen things that say to turn water heater off at night, but don't think that could apply to economy 7 users.
What do you think?

Getz

Comments

• david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only use off peak to heat the water, a timer would be useful. Only use peak if you have to, i.e. run out of hot water before the next off peak time but remember peak is expensive!
  • Russell_Smith_2
    Options
    I agree with the previous post - and if you dont have a jacket on your hot water storage tank -get one! They cost about £35 at a good hardware store and will pay for them selves in 6 months (i.e. you'll save about £70 of electricity per year!)

Russell @ Parity Projects
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport