What can you burn on a multi fuel stove

Options
I love my stove. It has a boiler which heats the water and tops up the radiators .This reduces my oil consumption considerably.
I live in the sticks and had a ready supply of cheap logs until recently. However it seems everyone is installing wood burners and the demand has shot up.
The only stuff I can get hold of now is unseasoned. It's hardwood so will be fine eventually but for now I' using more coal than I would like.

My husband has long threatened to burn all the rubbish if the council start to charge according to quantity of refuse.
As I wheeled out a bin load of cardboard I wondered.......would it just make a huge pan of ash or is it worth burning?

Comments

• ventureuk
    ventureuk Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    A bin load of cardboard will burn in no time, it will smell terrible, you will have to sit in front of the stove all the time with the door open feeding it in. The burning ink will also release unpleasant chemicals.
  • LittleTinker
    LittleTinker Posts: 2,841 Forumite
    Options
    My parents burn ALL paper rubbish on their fire.

Saves on the 'identity fraud' worries too.
  • spinningsheep
    Options
    Snap, we burn paperwork, junkmail, packets, tissues, even empty cartons of juice etc, you just have to riddle the ashes a bit to stop it getting choked up. I have found that cardboard does act as an excellent material to get a slumbering fire going again.

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 
  • One_Day_Rodney
    Options
    I gonna give one of these 'log makers' a go

Ebay Item 190275679383

We get loads of waste paper at work and thought I'd give it a try.
    Probably a job for the summer :D
  • dooby
    dooby Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if this is any good or not but when my grandparents had an open fire they used to burn potato peelings wrapped in newspaper.

My nan would peel them straight onto a few sheets of paper then wrap them up in a like a christmas cracker style fashion and pop them on the window sill to dry out, then grandad would use it to start the fire the next day.
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Burning general waste in your stove is the perfect way to wreck it.

Cardboard and paper is fine but anything else like waxy cartons etc will produce toxic glue like deposits that will ruin your chimney and stove parts
  • BargainGalore
    Options
    You get a lot of ash though with aper and cardboard. I find logs last longer and cleaner but coal gives more heat and is mucky

I normally use seasoned logs and odd bit fo wood, no paint on the wood though just clean wood

Some kitchen fitter other day offered me some kitchen shelves that were chip board he said it will be great for my burner, which is silly, it contains glue and will mess my burner up
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can burn the peelings from veggies - if wrapped in paper and left to dry overnight (as dooby's nan does) and sure you can burn paper and card - but yep - ash pan will fill in no time so only burn that days mail, the tea bag box etc - dont be putting the entire contents of the recycling bin on it in one hit :)

We burn coal, wood and peats - and anything thing else we can get our hands on - pallets, ripped out kitchens, cut offs from rafters from the new builds) - go skip surfing (just remember to ask before you take)
  • Sirbendy
    Sirbendy Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    did the same at my parents...paper, cardboard etc etc, guinea pig sawdust and so on...it's been "abused" for 15 years or so with no issue...occasional rope seal replacements and one new air flap valve.

It's a charnwood - stunning unit. Wish I had a solid-fuel burner where we are..heh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure