Best Way to Save Money on Gas & Elec

Options
Can anyone advise me on the best way to save money on gas and electricity?

Thanks for any info
Squelch ;)

Comments

• Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Reduce your consumption and check what tariff your are on compared to others. See if changing suppliers or the tariff of your current supplier would be cheaper.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • BargainGalore
    Options
    Check if there are better deals out there
    Turn things off when you dont need them
    Use a energy meter (mains or those OWL type smart monitors) to monitor usage which can make you think, do I need this appliance on?
    Replace bulbs to low energy bulbs where possible
    Dont rely on estimate readings try and monitor usage and submit them to your energy supplier/s
    Where possible look for new appliances with a or better rating obviously when they only need replacing
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Read meters daily and work out where the waste is. When you're happy with reduced consumption, read meters weekly or fortnightly to check you're on track.

Focus on high energy users (heating, water heating, tumble drying etc) and things used for a lot of hours (fridge, freezer, lights).

Check tariffs regularly, switch as necessary and try to get cashback too.
  • Squelch_2
    Options
    Thanks for advice all of you :beer:

I will take some of this advice on board and hopefully get those bills down :rotfl:

Squelch;)
  • 1carminestocky
    Options
    Switch your supplier 4 times per year for cashback. Up to £300/yr can be made this way and as long as you land on each company's cheapest (usually online) tariff there really isn't a whole lot of difference between them.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • oldskoo1
    oldskoo1 Posts: 616 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exactly what magnetsue said.

I did that just after summer.

We have a 4 bed detached, about 12yr old with double glazing and insulated walls, so a good start. We fitted a new composite front door and put draft stoppers (the hair things) on the back door and door leading into garage.

Other things we did were to make use of the DIY offers and fill the loft with very thick insulation in cross hatched way.

We run our central heating 24/7 at 18 dC.

We have just had our usage for the last 3 winter months and it has been freezing. Our quarter bill for jan is £226 / 546 units of gas which i dont think is bad considering we have it on 24/7 and are £170 in credit.

Our elec is £66 for the 3 winter months just £22 a month up from our £19 payment and we are well in credit with that too.

We run a big plasma, various other LCD's, oven every night, hifi that consumes a massive 270 watts, chargers etc. However we have pretty good discipline in this house. Nothing gets left on standby and everything is off at the plug once finished using.

So biggest tips are, draft insulate, fill loft, buy hot water tank jacket, double glazing if possible. Every light bulb energy saving (tesco are buy 1 get 2 free at the mo), never leave things on stanby. Buy a energy consumption meter reader from maplins for a tenner to see what saps energy. Read your gas and experiment with thermostat settings until you find a setting your happy with and costs you less. We leave it on 24/7.

Good luck
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    remouska cookers from lakeland are suppose to be low users of electricity when cooking
    onwards and upwards
  • welshlil
    welshlil Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    some electric companies offer a consumption thing that reads the amount of electric being used [SWALEC was free of charge] I went mental at the wastage, 3 teenagers at one stage. I'd be running round house turning off everything. Do we really need the clock on the microwave? I never use a tumble dryer, invested in a clothes horse,[ ok so it was from my parents house and around 50 years old but serves its purpose] put in a spare corner, clothes dry in around 24 hrs just from warmth of room. Also check with your suppliers if you are entitled to a means tested discount. Spend 10% or more of income on fuel, be on certain benefits and I receive 20% off both gas and electric. Well worth checking out.
  • ken84
    ken84 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Squelch wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me on the best way to save money on gas and electricity?
    Magentasue wrote: »
    Read meters daily and work out where the waste is. When you're happy with reduced consumption, read meters weekly or fortnightly to check you're on track.

Focus on high energy users (heating, water heating, tumble drying etc) and things used for a lot of hours (fridge, freezer, lights).

Check tariffs regularly, switch as necessary and try to get cashback too.

Magentasue, thanks for the great advice. I've also been looking generally at energy information sites to get an idea how different daily actions compare, like baths and showers. The national grid made something worth a look at called Floe which is fun to use, and I found out things like, "replacing a standard dishwasher with a more energy efficient model for 1 year reduces your carbon impact as much as running a dishwasher that isn't energy efficient for 6 years." Quite a difference!
  • Sirbendy
    Sirbendy Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I don't *do* the carbon bumpf...however, I do get quite niggly about saving power...things like my broadband kit on a £1 sunday market sourced timeswitch so it's only on if we're there, CFL lamps everywhere, electrics on multiplugs that get turned off at the mains when not in use, lights off unless you're in the room etc.

Seems to work quite nicely..doubt we could pull it in any further..we use £5/week on NPower, with the £1.whatever standing charge included. Plug in energy meters are great..I make a point of testing everything we buy "in the shop" - for instance, the microwave...it used power to run the clock..pointless. So I changed my purchase to a basic "clockwork" style one that has multi-power levels, goes "ping" instead of beep, has no clock etc..and uses nothing when not in use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure