Bank account ruining my life

Options
Hi

Bolt statment but its true, i just applied for Barlclays standard current account and they declined me, i dont want any credit, overdraft or cheque book just a "current Account"

They just fob me off with Experian says no write to them, I dont care about Experian they do a good job in messing everything up and charging you for it anyway.

So where do i go from here am i stuck with the worst account ever "A&L" forever or is there a way around this.

When i was 18 i messed up my credit now im 26 and have a mortgage and £30k a year but barclays dont seem to want my money even though i have £8k to put in there savings.

Whats wrong with them i cant be a risk with no credit facilities. Whats the world coming to where Experian dicates my life to me!

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• balmk
    balmk Posts: 624 Forumite
    Options
    Have you checked the information that is on your credit file? It may be that there are some errors on there; I've been having an ongoing battle with Callcredit (one of the other agencies) trying to get a default removed that was put on my file in July last year for an account that was closed in 2002! Equifax and Experian both have free trials that you can take advantage of (just remember to cancel before the trial period ends!).
  • beverleyhills
    Options
    Have you checked your credit files?
    'You can't change the past, you can only change the future' Gary Boulet.

'Show me the person who never makes a mistake and I'll show you the person who never makes anything'. Anon
  • agsnu
    agsnu Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    Options
    Or you could just request the statutory £2 report, which doesn't have any associated subscription or anything.
  • sdooley
    sdooley Posts: 918 Forumite
    Options
    You could open a 'basic bank account' with another bank. These generally don't require credit checks and are designed for people in your situation. Moveing house a lot doesn't help credit checking either.

Wouldn't bother with Barclays now they've declined you - try another big bank (or co-op bank) but make sure you get the basic bank account as if they try to fob you off with the standard account they will credit check and you'll be back to square one.
  • bathgatebuyer
    bathgatebuyer Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I can only echo what others have said. I had a similar problem to you a few years back and applied to get a current account from a few banks. I was rejected in each case. The only one who gave me an account was Natwest with their Step Account. It's still my main account and I don't mind not having an overdraft or a chequebook. I can manage all my direct debits online, arrange payments and transfers and does the job for me just fine.

Also, it is well worth getting your credit reports in order to correct any erros in there.
    Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
  • Calchas
    Calchas Posts: 405 Forumite
    Options
    Why, in general, do we seem to accept that the burden of proof lies with us and, what's more, pay to see something we never even asked for or endorsed in the first instance?

Surely these agencies are taking us for a ride.

We should be able to demand payment every time they give out false information to a third party that has an adverse effect on us.
  • chrisleonard
    Options
    Calchas wrote: »
    Why, in general, do we seem to accept that the burden of proof lies with us and, what's more, pay to see something we never even asked for or endorsed in the first instance?

Surely these agencies are taking us for a ride.

We should be able to demand payment every time they give out false information to a third party that has an adverse effect on us.

so true, even so im not even asking for ANY CREDIT just somewhere to store and access my money and im being told no, so my conclution is banks dont want my money they want my debt and me to pay them back for it which is totally wrong.

There has to be something that can be done I dont want a kids account i just want a good account good online banking and a card accepted everywhere, NO CREDIT.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would move my savings from B*rclays if they cannot offer you a basic current account. What is up with A&L anyway? They pay decent interest on credit balances, unlike most.
  • chrisleonard
    Options
    A&L are the worst i went £1 overdrawn, on 2nd November they charged me £5 a day.

If i loose my card it takes 2 weeks for a new card and in between that time it takes 30 minutes in the branch to get any money, if i transfer money from 1 account to another it take 2 days.

Dont like it!

could barclays bypass credit checks if they really wanted to, my best mates bro is a new business director for barclays!
  • sdooley
    sdooley Posts: 918 Forumite
    Options
    We could live in a world without credit agencies however it would be one where only those with proven reputations (the very well off or close family) would be granted credit. Would you lend money to someone you hadn't met?

Maybe they should be viewable for free online but the risk is someone would try to use that to see other people's data. OK so that's what the banks do but they have to shell out thousands for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure