BT bill - wow such big numbers!!

Options
Hi everyone.

First post here - so not sure if this will work!

Here goes: I have received my phone bill from BT - shock horror - it was much higher than I expected. They have increased my monthly DD from £40.00 to a massive £70.00. I have spent ages looking at the various review and threads on here but I am still not clearer as to a) how to change provider - will I lose service while the change happens?
b) which is the best provider in terms of service as well as cost.

Bill states - Charges of £28.07 for Option 1 and £68.91 for Option 3 and calls made £39.30.

I would be very grateful if anyone can help/advise. I am also trying to find a new BB provider but as I am a student and need the internet I am proceeding with caution.

thanks
Sally
November NSD 1/10
Weight loss - 7lbs from the 41 I need to loose = 34 to go

Comments

• Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Option 1 and Option 3:confused: Shouldn't you only have the 1?
  • headcovers
    Options
    I think you need to give us a bit more detail

I assume that the bill is itemised: what are the calls for or to. Are you making too many calls to mobile numbers, premium numbers, 0870 numbers, etc.

Secondly, one assumes from the two options that you have authorised BT to change you from one option to another option mid-term. If this is not the case you need to call BT to find out why they have changed you from one to the other.

Have you examined which option is best for you? Can you consider removing any extras like call waiting, caller display, etc?
  • headcovers
    Options
    I realise that your post asked about changing providers, but that may not be the answer if your call habits and call options are the root of the problem.
  • methekidsandthecat
    Options
    thanks for the help I will call BT tomorrow for clarification. I thought Option 3 was for BB but not sure now!

Will let you know how I get on.
    Sally
    November NSD 1/10
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    thanks for the help I will call BT tomorrow for clarification. I thought Option 3 was for BB but not sure now!

Will let you know how I get on.
    Sally

Yes Option 3 on broadband is £26.99pm so your charge of £68.91 is correct. We'll leave that just now as you said you needed the internet connection but wanted to find a new provider.

You are on Option 1 for telephone which is £11pm or £33 per quarter so £28.07 + VAT is correct.

Your calls are £39.30 + VAT which is about £46. So you are paying out about £15 per month on calls which I'm sure could be reduced. However can you tell us what kind of calls you make and when?
  • methekidsandthecat
    Options
    Hi Jem16.

I usually try to call people during the evening and at weekends however I moved house at the end of August 2005 so a lot of day time calls were made in the months that followed. Also other half lives in York and I tend to use his mobile to call him.

The rest of my family also live long distance. Another common type of call is to the other students on my course particularly when assignments are due - these can be daytime or very early morning calls!!

Is there anything else I can do as £70.00 per month is definately too high for my budget?

Sally
    November NSD 1/10
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    ... Also other half lives in York and I tend to use his mobile to call him.

The rest of my family also live long distance. ...
    All calls to geographical numbers cost the same. So it costs the same to call your next door neighbour as it does to call someone in Penzance on 01 or 02 number.

Cheapest way to call 01/02 numbers is with 1899, which costs 3p for any length of call at all times.
  • Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jem16 wrote:
    Yes Option 3 on broadband is £26.99pm so your charge of £68.91 is correct. We'll leave that just now as you said you needed the internet connection but wanted to find a new provider.

PIPEX ccosts me £14.99 a month, you are paying to much, my opinion.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Jem16.

I usually try to call people during the evening and at weekends however I moved house at the end of August 2005 so a lot of day time calls were made in the months that followed. Also other half lives in York and I tend to use his mobile to call him.

The rest of my family also live long distance. Another common type of call is to the other students on my course particularly when assignments are due - these can be daytime or very early morning calls!!

Is there anything else I can do as £70.00 per month is definately too high for my budget?

Sally

Sally,

Your BB is £27pm, Option 1 is £11pm and your calls are approx £15pm so that's a total of £53pm. The other £17pm is what? Are you covering a debit built up on your account or are you paying something else? Your phone bill would clarify that.

Daytime calls to 01/02 numbers are 3p no matter how long you are on by using Call 1899 as suggested.

For evening & weekend I'd suggest using Primus Saver 2 as it gives you totally free calls of up to 90 minutes.

For mobile calls you should sign up to Call 18185 as mobile rates are 5p per minute weekdays and 2p per minute weekends + 4p connection charge.

I'm sure this would greatly decrease your calls bill.

As Al Mac suggests you could reduce your BB bill by signing up for Pipex which apparently includes 500 free phone minutes if you sign up in January. This would cost you £14.99pm instead of £27pm.
  • knuckledragger
    Options
    For calling mobiles, have a look at this thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=130980&page=1&pp=10
    ...and then the window licker said to me...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure