We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DLA/ Mobility on posting abroad

Options
Some useful information for anyone like me whos registered disabled and has a motobility vehicle being posted overseas, after speaking to motobility and dwp you can still take your vehicle with you and change it like you would in the uk, they will supply you with your export licience and green card for insurance so you can bfg the vehicle without problems, they also change your rac cover for international recovery aswell. You must remember to tell them you are posted with the british military so you are still classed as habitually resident in the uk, i have known them to stop benefit as you moved abroad so remind them of this law.
Hope it helps someone else.
Also just another quick one, we are able to dictated type of property we can get, ie: i cannot live in a block of flats, we need a house with immediate parking outside, if needing adaptions in bathrooms etc they must complete this within 4 weeks of moving in, just remember to photo copy dla award and attach to housing form.

Comments

• CINDNSTEVE
    Options
    hello, thanks for the info. Not sure if you are aware but if posted overseas to Germany then the military person should let their MCM Div/UWO aware of the situation so that they can then inform HQ in Germany. The HQ then carries out checks to ensure that the persons additional needs can be met and if they can, ensure that any additional requirements are in place i.e a ramp to the house or car parking space by the house. Failure to do so could result in the return to the UK if needs cannot be met.
    Hope this helps
  • strong96
    strong96 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    yes im registered disabled with the army, my needs can be met due to the fact all my orthopedic ops are performed in osnabruck stadt only needs i have are certain railings but have been told these will be put in. all other equipment i use is my own which will be coming with me, and i got a disability dog trained to do certain things for me aswell.
  • greentrees1998
    Options
    If you need a powered wheelchair or scooter and are unable to get help from your local wheelchair service or be able to afford to buy one for yourself you may like to apply to the following charity who may be able to help you. You must have already tried the local wheelchair service and have been turned down and be claiming all the benefits available to you and not have much in your savings account. If you are successful and the charity help you they will deliver the equipment, after fundraising for you, with a three year extended warranty and insurance package. In the first instance write to Mobility Trust, 17b Reading Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7LR. In your letter you should explain what your disability is and how the equipment would help with your day to day life. They are only able to help with powered wheelchairs and scooters.
  • CINDNSTEVE
    Options
    welcome to Germany and enjoy your posting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business