a little packet this week on the car insurance alone!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
11 replies 1.6K views
fairylights_2fairylights_2 Forumite
851 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
Well, we did the car insurance list a couple of weeks ago after getting our renewal notice from the AA just before New Year. Last year car insurance was £760 ( :eek: I know! newish car, bad record for 2 claims - neither our fault, one theft, one freak accident caused by another driver - and three points for me from a few years back). We paid monthly, as OH didn't realise you pay more for the privilege, so our monthly payments this year have been £83.62 (!!!!!). Well, we rang the AA after their best deal was £580 and said we'd got over £100 better and they apologised and couldn't match it. SO as of Monday we're insured with Tesco, costing the annual sum of £460 - which we had saved for, so paid in one lump. This equates to monthly of £39 pounds (plus pence) a saving by month of £44!!!!!! Can't tell you how chuffed we are!

Thank you MSE - and now to start planning the home insurance for July!
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:

Replies

• Superb! :T

It's amazing how much you can save by looking around...

The interest on paying monthly is usually huge!! There's been a couple of times where it's been cheeper for me to pay my insurance in full by credit card and pay that off monthly!!

Steven
  • MidmacMidmac Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Wish i could save that much :( my insurance is £830 im a 18 year old male driver, if i were a female it would have been only £400, ( to me thats sexist , oh well )

Well done on the saving :D
    :j Midmac Aka Crazy baby :j
  • I have just saved a small packet by buying both car and house insurance from the same company. Last year I did it with Churchill and this year I did it with Privilege.

They always offer you about 10% off each (or something like that) for having both and more for doing all on-line so can make a big difference.

Obv depends on your own circumstances as Barclays where offering £50 cashback if they could not beat existing renewal quote and match it which was tempting but I still saved more overall buying both from same place.

Insurance is a large con anyway, always playing on peoples fears. I don't see how one company can offer a price at £357 and another for the same product and ask for £700+?
  • Queen.BessQueen.Bess Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    I can't believe the difference taking a bit of time shopping around can make! Got car insurance renewal in at £420 from Tesco. Went straight onto confused.com and got loads of better offers: Admiral were the best at £284. So went back to Tesco who could only get down to £376, so it's Admiral for this year = £136 cheaper! https://www.confused.com = BRILLIANT!! :money:
    Official DFW Nerd Club #20 :cool: Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D DFW Long Hauler #109 :o

Slowly, Slowly = Oct '09: £30693, Aug '15: £14820. Could Be Debt Free April 2020, but hoping for sooner!
  • AllyAlly Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saved £140 just by adding my name as the policy holder and then O/H as an additional driver, rather than me being the additional driver! We will both be using the car equally to learn how to drive. I was surprised that it all worked out under £800! Plus, got £80 cashback!:T
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!
    :j :rotfl: :j
  • Have you thought about having an additional driver on your insurance, it sometimes bring s the cost down if they have held a licence for a while and have a clean record?

I am just getting my own insurance aftre years as a company car driver. As I have had 2 claims, 1 malicious dmage and 6 points I was quoted £1000 on a golf. After adding my sister on it went down to £633. bargain!

Worth a try - hope it works for you.

D
  • tomsticklandtomstickland Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also use confused.com to scour the market. The Post Office have got a £50 cashback offer, plus £45 cashback on Quidco, plus they seem to give competetive quotes.
    Happy chappy
  • Looking at going back to co-op, https://www.cis.co.uk works out cheaper that tesco now
  • K9cuddlesK9cuddles Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    I must admit confused.com is super!! I looking to get mine under 1k this year so I can pay it in 1 lump sum! Not due for renewal under July but been searching already!!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • roswellroswell Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found cheaper deals on insurance supermarket, with quidco you get somethign like £40 back off the post office or £60 back off the AA, I was insured with tesco 2 years ago when my renewal came it was £200 more expensive than the previouse year (no claims made) I think the process is the first time you insure with them they give you a low quote hoping when it comes to renewal that you will just accept it so they inflate the quote to make up for the previouse years good will,
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up