NOW OPEN: the MSE Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. This time we'd like your questions on TRAVEL & HOLIDAY DEALS. Post by Wed and deals expert MSE Oli will answer as many as he can.

Pension Error Advice Needed Please


I am asking this on behalf of my parents who are not online. About three years ago their pension payment office was changed and during this time an error was made by one of the offices. This resulted in an over-payment of about £1400.00 after some time and this was picked up by my Father. He called the office three times and each time he was told they would look into it and call him back which they never did (each time having to talk to someone different). We then sent a letter which the office replied to where they stated that the error would be looked into and we would hear within 6 weeks, again we heard nothing. The letter did state that when this sort of thing happens they some times waiver it and the pensioner is able to keep the money. All this time has passed and there has been no further communication.

This money sits in their bank account burning a hole! They refuse to contact the Pensions people about it again stating after three calls and a letter they have done enough. They have no intention of touching the money but it really should not be there and it annoys me as they could do with it! My Father said that he had heard that alot of pension documentation had been destroyed but I am not sure if this is correct.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Miss Moneybags ;)


  • Gem_Gem_ Forumite
    495 Posts
    No but you are lucky to get the benifit of an overpayment. My Gran (who is living on her own and not good at money) suddenly had her pension stopped with no warning.

    When we rang the pensions people they told us she was dead!!! it took 6 months to restart payments and they even had the cheak to send someone around to check her birth certificate!

    Not the most organised group in the world.

  • Why not get your parents to write to DWP saying if they don't hear anything about paying back the overpayment within 28 days they will consider the payment is correct and they will spend it - that should grab someone's attention! Meanwhile, they've enjoyed the interest it's earned them.
  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    IIRC Offical errors by the Pension service are non - recoverable , (I used to work for them), it would be recoverd only if the fault was with information you provided that lead to the payment problem.

    The same goes for errors in Winter Fuel, if you ever get over paid.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum