Internet sites get re directed

Options
can anyone help?
my pc has some sort of virus.
when i goolge something results show but when i
click result i get re-directed elsewhere.
i have tried to go to spyware/malware sites
to clean pc but get re-directed.
i did spot ad.uk.doubleclick.net on one of the
re-directs
I also noticed my avg anti virus willnot update.
Also when i start pc it often cuts off many times
before it starts
regards
HONEY23

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
    • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
    • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
    • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
      • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
      • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Then click Finish.
    • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
    • On the Scanner tab:
      • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
      • Then click on the Scan button.
    • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
    • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
    • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
    • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
    • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
    • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
    • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
    Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if Malwarebytes will not run when installed then navigate to the folder it was installed to and rename MBAM.exe to something else like cleanup.exe

you can update to the latest malwarebytes definitions manually by going to

http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/database.jsp

download the file and run it , will update to the latest version , then run the renamed file from above
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • bookduck
    bookduck Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Options
    Beside the above, your host file may have been modified and/or your dns may have been changed.
    GOOGLE it before you ask, you'll often save yourself a lot of time. ;)
  • beachbhoy
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry for hijacking the thread I have similar problems and have followed the instructions how ever MBAM will not start I get a window popping up saying Error loading database. line: #0. (0).

Thanks in advance for your help
  • MikeyMacbeth
    Options
    Caution here please - I've not heard of malwarebytes until now - googling it returns no results other than malwarebytes.org or various download sites on the 1st results page, which suggests it's not had much peer review - I may be completely mistaken and it's valid software, but there is plenty of free AV software out there - google Avasti or AVG.

Maybe a hosts/dns attack as boondock suggests - I just came across one recently which had forced new proxy settings on IE so it may be a long haul to sort this one, sorry.

One route is downloading a decent AV (Anti Virus) program on a different computer and installing it on yours (transfer using disc or usb stick) - some viruses don't like the presence of Anti Virus programs (can't think why...)
  • MikeyMacbeth
    Options
    loaner wrote: »
    kaspersky bootcd http://dnl-eu10.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/RescueDisk/ burn as an iso image (important) to a CD, boot from it connect pc to a router wired, update it, do a scan

good advice - alternatives are available from most reputable AV companies - a boot cd should catch any problems before the virus has chance to load and try countermeasures...
  • bob_a_builder
    Options
    I've just fixed my SIL PC which had similar browser redirection problems - tried all the normal anti spyware candidates to fix it,
    but only malwarebytes was able to find & remove it
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caution here please - I've not heard of malwarebytes until now - googling it returns no results other than malwarebytes.org or various download sites on the 1st results page, which suggests it's not had much peer review - I may be completely mistaken and it's valid software, but there is plenty of free AV software out there - google Avasti or AVG.

Maybe a hosts/dns attack as boondock suggests - I just came across one recently which had forced new proxy settings on IE so it may be a long haul to sort this one, sorry.

One route is downloading a decent AV (Anti Virus) program on a different computer and installing it on yours (transfer using disc or usb stick) - some viruses don't like the presence of Anti Virus programs (can't think why...)

Mate. Browntoa knows what hes doing and Malwarebytes is a FANTASTIC free program
    :idea:
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    beachbhoy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry for hijacking the thread I have similar problems and have followed the instructions how ever MBAM will not start I get a window popping up saying Error loading database. line: #0. (0).

Thanks in advance for your help

beachboy
    Please start your own thread as it gets confusing otherwise
    To start you off download HIJACK THIS
    http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html
    SCAN and post the log explaining your problem in your NEW THREAD

Cheers :)
    :idea:
  • beachbhoy
    Options
    aliEnRIK wrote: »
    beachboy