Credit Cards Abroad Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hi, Great site can you help with my query?
    I am currently due to move my  credit card (discounted rate expires on my Halifax Platinum soon)

I am going on holiday to Turkey in June and want a card that obviously offers 0% rate along with the best for  foreign transactions (both cash withdrawls and card purchases.)

I will not be able to repay in full these transactions upon my return home. Is the Nationwide card still the best in these circumstances?

Your advice would be appreciated.
    John
    You want to get your mits on the Nationwide Classic Credit Card, 6 months 0% on balance transfers, purchases and cash advances (1.25% withdrawl fee, min £1.25 - still the cheapest charge for a CC) and no foreign transaction fees. Make the minimum payments via Direct Debit and make sure you can save up enough over the 6months to pay it off in fullbefore the intro period expires. Just make sure you get the Classic card, not the other two on offer, which have different T&Cs. You should be able to find info on nationwides website.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • t_i_g_e_rr
    t_i_g_e_rr Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    I understand from this article that you don't get charged for using a nationwide credit card for buying abroad, but do you get the full bank exchange rate or do you get a reduced 'tourist rate'?

The reason I ask is this: I went to France a few weeks ago and simply withdrew my cash from a cirrus ATM (I have a nationwide cashcard). I was not charged for using the machine and I got an exchange rate of 1.519, which was near enough bank rate on the day. Is the credit card exchange rate just as good? If not, it might be worth using a nationwide cashcard. At any rate, if you can't get a nationwide credit card, don't worry, just get a cash card with the flex account!

t_i_g_e_rr
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Martin, I have just read your newly updated article, and the page that lists the charges for common bank accounts.

The page says the Halifax charges 2.25% + £1.50 for debit card payments and £1.50 for cash withdrawals on a debit card. In fact for cash it's also 2.25% + £1.50. :o

See here
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK to answer the last too.

Both Nationwide debit and credit cards are zero load - so there is no difference in the loading. IF you have a nationwide debit card use that though as there's no cash withdrawal fee and no interest charge.

Student 100. You are correct, however that is what the table says. Ie on cash withdrawals, there's a load of 2.25% and then a cash withdrawl fee of £1.50. I think the confusion comes because of Halifax's extraordinary £1.50 charge for purchases too.

Martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • student100
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ok, so you have to add the entry from the Load column to the Cash Withdrawal one to get the total cost for cash withdrawals?

I understand now! ::)
  • Iskin
    Iskin Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Martin !
    Great site and wonderful article about purchasing overseas, I tried to prepare my next trip but so far I failed.
    I tried to apply for a Lombar Direct credit card on-line(flying to Europe this summer ) but was rejected, no clue why as I have not a bad record and I earn a decent salary 20k> (well at least I thought so). I have already an Accucard and my husband has got a Platinum Card (though he hardly uses it), no debt no where. Well never mind we are planning now to open a Nationwide Flex account just for our trip overseas so that we can get a Debit Card, I was just wondering is it worth it and are they going to reject us as well ?
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • student100
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can but try. All banks etc. have different criteria for credit scoring people.
  • ads_2
    ads_2 Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a question about spending in Ireland. I am going there for a short holiday.

Could someone tell me, is it better to use my debit card (Barclays connect) or my credit card (Barclaycard) for purchases and cash?
    something missing
  • Iskin
    Iskin Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hi !
    All my applications have been turn down: Liverpool Victoria, Nationwide current account, Nationwide Credit card and Saga. I am foreigner so I realised that somehow it does not help to be resident for less than 3 years...
    I start to think that getting my Accucard MS was a miracle ! I am being paid on a UK bank account but I fly very often to France and I have a french bank account, would it be cheaper to make an international transfer from time to time before my trips???
    Any tips welcome !
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BarclayCard Visa told me last week that they are adding charges to every foreign purchase and have done so for some months. This is not because they want to but because American owned VISA brought in the charges and BC is being transparent about their charges! Yes, my heart really goes out to them! I know that Nationwide doesn't charge on withdrawals but is there a credit card which doesn't charge on everyday purchases whilst abroad?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure