PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,207
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Well, I'm not likely to make it this month but intend to keep adding to my total so I get a final cost instead of bowing out. I have a freezer full of HM meals, fish, quorn etc and also have loads of veg. I need to get some more fruit for my packed lunches but that should be it this week. Next week weekend I'll need to go out for some more shopping though so that will tip me over.......:rotfl:
    Off for a read through the posts for inspiration.
    w
  • Just updated sig ,only have £38.34 to last till the end of month I'm going to have to be very good over the rest of Jan. Still not to bad at first try and there is 5 weeks this month,promise myself to do better next month.:rolleyes:
    Save £4500 in 2014
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Morning all!

Popped to Mr Ts yesterday for the weekly shop and managed to spend £17 on food and £3 on a bunch of flowers (flowers don't count in the GC budget).
    Used a few vouchers to get the cost down a little bit (only about £2 but it all helps I suppose!).

I only have about £14 left in the budget to last 1 more weeks shopping but we're away next weekend at mums and will only have Mon-Fri the follwoing week before the next budget starts. There's also quite a bit in the freezer so if we do go over it'll hopefully only be by a few pounds - not bad considering its a 5 week month (forgot and assumed it was a 4 weeker!)

Today its sausage casserole for tea (meaty for him and veggie for me) with mash and peas. I'm mealplanning like mad (its also driving OH bonkers!) and looking forward to February - nice short 4 week month, what a relief!

Keep up the good work everyone.......
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Right im quite proud of myself even hubby thinks i done good shop.
    made huge lasagne yesterday and froze 4 portions.
    Also made blackberry and lemon muffins from left over blackberries I piced still in freezer was sept!

Today I plan to make big pot of chilli con carne and freeze 6portions.
    Im doing roast chicken and veg for dinner today but picking off chicen to mae veg and chicken curry to tommorow and gona boil carcass to make stock and freeze!

Im addicted to freezing as brought soem plastic tupperware comtaineres frompoundland with lods £1 for 6 so can stocpilek homemade ready meals.
    Our usual trick is we love fresh but bomb out after a week or 2 and sometimes end up chucking veg away.
    Dont want to do that so big cookathon now and freeze best option.
    Feeling positive and want to try new things.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • philsmum
    philsmum Posts: 150
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everyone.

Well done gailey. Hope the freezing goes well.
    I have not done very well up to now but hopefully will manage to keep within budget this month. Have all my meals planned until end of month and will only need fresh veg. & fruit, I have spent most of my money on meat for freezer, all whoopsies. We had scallops in shells reduced to £1.50 from £6.00 not really keen but at least got to try them.
    Keep up the good work everyone
    Pat:A
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • Well went to the village yesterday - only took £7 but spent £6.89 - will update sig later!

I was miffed though, had bought fresh cauli, broccoli and carrots earlier in the week and was looking forward to a vegetable cheese and making a broccoli and cheese soup with the stalk. I went to them out and they had all gone mouldy!! had to raid the frozen veg and made enough cauli cheese to have the rest today with our roast dinner (have the in-laws round so needs to be very stretchy!!)

Went to bake some blueberry muffins for tea tonight and realised I only had one egg left so made chocolate and raisin cookies - can I freeze the blueberries? - must dash
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    NSD for me to-day, we are having spag bol for dinner...have kilo of mince so will have some sauce for another dinner and shepherd's pie as well...adding some oats to stretch it all a bit.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi yummymummy

Yep you can freeze your blueberries no problem
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • I have the in-laws coming for tea so I've just raided the freezer and I'm defrosting a mushroom soup, I've thrown the makings of a beef (and lentil etc) lasagne in the slow cooker followed by an apple crumble and custard (apples on the turn LOL)

I must say that apart from the urges to go and spend money I have enjoyed getting back to basics with my cooking and stretching out those meals! I've just had a quick look through my freezer and I've got at least seven meals already cooked and the makings of loads more. The only problem will be fruit and veg (as always).

I'm about twenty pounds over budget but it hasn't been frittered away so I'm quite pleased about that. I need to address the other areas of spending this year so I'll be setting more limits on myself and the family - I'm going to be sooooo popular :rotfl:
  • hi everyone,
    no way can I find the time to read all the posts but just wanted to keep in touch. Not even spent half of my GC budget yet although not getting too cocky as there is still a lot of the month left. Have been eating out of freezer and cupboards and doing o.k. Roast chicken resting, roast potatoes in oven and veg just about ready for lunch. It's amazing what I have found in cupboards and freezer.
    Hope all are doing well
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure