PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    gailey wrote: »
    Right update from me

you may rememebr we wre running very low and i was doing some ingeneious meal planning to see us through until oh payday on thursday.
    However oh gone and screwed us up because we had nothing he fancied!
    He had £5to go to shops and get basic breadmilk and coffee told him go sainsburys or morrisions.
    What does he do come shome with nothing! it gets worse
    hes got hd from iceland min spend £25! so wheres he got £25 from turns out his mum gave him somone money so hes cheated I was so mad!
    also he dident have sense to bring coffee home so coudkent ahve hot cuppa for few hours! Then you think can it get any worse!?
    i check his coat pocket for recipt turns out hsi mam gave him £50 not £20 and its not like we starving! Also hes spent

£41 on 25 items!

most of which are junk
    admittidly he got soem squash in there which was good value at £2 for 2liters however £2.89 for cofee when sainburys gold £1 something!
    he brought 2 bottles fizzy pop!
    2frozen pizzas one of which cost £3 even fesh sainsbury pizza on offer at £1.59 and he knew that yet spent 3quid on frozen chicago town!
    5 ready emals pointless as they like snack for him he still hungry afterwards
    another bag of chips despite us buying a bag day before in lidls which hes not keen on look of.
    big bag or walkers crips

I think on sensible purchase was bread
    milk 6p
    yogurts and butter bogoff!

Was so disapointed and angry! wa slooking foward to thur.
    I keep telling him iceland is priceya dn only buy certain things in there feel hes wasted part of our budget now ehen thur comes we got les sto spend due to his negligance and may even go over budget our challange will be much harder as i cant amke meals from junk and convienaince food!

gailey[/QUOTE

My OH used to do that kind of thing. Which is why he's banned from shopping now :T

He's got an obsession with jars of sauc I swear he could spend hours atthat section in Asda. Buys loads of jars but forgets to buy the meat needed to go with it :rolleyes:

Anyways....its almost halfway through the month and I still have £206 left out of my original £320 and still have loads in the fridge/cupboards/freezer.

I haven't bought anything Grocery related since saturday.:j

I will need a couple of small items later for the Boys packed lunches, but i'll get those from the corner shop. It'll save me going to Asda and being tempted to spend money on stuff I don't even need.

I'm finding doing this Challenge has made me more "creative" with what I already have in the house. So hopefully i'll eventually get my bigger freezer emptied and defrosted
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • Miserly mum just wanted to day well done on your weight loss so far - you are doing great, especially as you must have been really good over Christmas!!
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • Hi all

Did first shop of 2009 on Saturday. Had spent 9 days indoors because of ice - I had a fall just before Christmas and ended up with a black eye. Couldn't face another one as I have osteoporosis - me and the dog had cabin fever in the end. Anyway I remembered qvc do some gripper things for the soles of your shoes. Came Saturday morning and worked a treat so was able to get to Asda. All in all, with Christmas counted in I must have had about 15 nsds!!

Haven't had time to check all messages so this may have been noted already - Asda are selling Shades loo roll 16 for £5.

Not sure where else to post this tip - I made cauliflower cheese yesterday. Normally bake it in the oven, but so often the sauce separates out and is watery. I grilled it instead to melt the cheese/breadcrump topping for about 5 mins - sauce still beautifully creamy.
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • got to nip out in a bit and get bananas. got to do the boys a pack up to take round in-laws as early tea me and HD will have jacket pots much later on. must take a weetabix cake out of the freezer as well today.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    Ok well I can report that I have gone over budget already - I just need to sit down and work out just how bad ..... :confused:

I am trying to work out the best way on managing my food shopping. - Typically I used to share a home delivery shop with someone else - this worked well but I did find myself ordering stuff "just in case" because I would be planning so far in advance. this "just in case" food would then go to waste :angry:

I cant decide whether to:
    (a) visit the supermarket daily (I have both a small tesco/sainsburys at my disposal) buying only what i need for that day/the following day
    (b) continue to have a mid week delivery with my friend
    (c) have a fortnightly delivery from asda? topping up what i need with my friend's order?

(c) is the option I am most drawn to because I would have it delivered at the weekend meaning I would have all this lovely fresh fruit/veg/meat etc that I could batch cook with and make meals for the week/freeze. sometimes meat I have had delivered on wednesday needs eating within a couple of days and is no good for the planned meal on sunday meaning I have to plan something else or freeze the meat then defrost it!!

I would be interested to know how you go about your food shopping (do you home delivery/go to the supermarket etc) because despite having a fridge/freezer/cupboard full of food, Im still spending unnecessarily.

Hi Flat Eric - I've tried :-
    1) Shopping weekly,
    2) As an when I need it
    3) Having the order delivered

I've usually found that when I shop weekly I overspend most weeks by around £10-£15, so around £60 per month which over the year adds up to a whopping £720!

I've tried having the order delivered and found this is quite a good way of keeper a close eye on my budget, as you can total it up as you go along but of course, you have to allow the extra money for the delivery charge, I also sometimes find that substitutes are more expensive and of course you miss out on the 'whoopsies' and other bargains that you sometimes find when actually going into the shop.

At the moment I'm shopping as and when I need it and although still under budget for the month I am getting a bit close:eek:. I do quite like this method of shopping because you get more chances to pick up offers and 'whoopsies'. The drawback as I see it is, that you have to be very disciplined and not keep buying things that you don't really need -which is exactly my problem:rotfl:

I think if you are having a similar problem, you may be better staying out of the shops and settling for a delivery which will help you keep a closer eye on your budget -but what do I know!!

Today, I'm really hoping for a NSD this will only be my second this year:mad: I don't NEED anything, so I will NOT go shopping.......

Also I'm having to rethink dinner tonight as I want to use up the ham from yesterday's hock. So I think it will be Pasta, Ham and a nice Cheese and Basil Sauce...............and I will not go to the shops:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • keld
    keld Posts: 140
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Just trying to keep on top of things by posting here:o, so I've amended my signiture.

Spent £25.44 in Mr A on Friday, part of this was for the makings of home made kebabs - instead of a takeaway - so much nicer and healthlier:D . The rest was on meat for the rest of the week.

Spent £58.65 in Mr S on Monday (our main shop - fruit, veg, etc for the rest of the week).

So far so good. Then the milkman called and I paid him £37.00:eek: (for a months milk), it's just as well I put the money in jar every week so the cash was there. I know it would be cheaper to get my milk in a supermarket, but I live in a small village, which still has a Post Office/General Store (buy the children sweets there twice a week, plus one newspaper), a butcher (buy there once or twice a month), two pubs (keeping out at the moment after Christmas/New Year excess:o ) and a milkman, so I try to spend a bit in each to support my local community - every little helps as one of the biggest monsters says:D.

Since 10th November 2008 I've been keeping a spending diary (slight lapse over Christmas/New Year holidays, but I'm back on track. It's beginning to make interesting reading (for me at least) so I'll carry on. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.:T
    Mortgage [strike]£70,000[/strike] £1:j
    MF date [strike]31/08/2021[/strike] 6th February 2012:A

• miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    orchid-96 wrote: »
    Miserly mum just wanted to day well done on your weight loss so far - you are doing great, especially as you must have been really good over Christmas!!

Thankyou Orchid-96 xx

Well can't take any credit for being good over Xmas .....I was dying with a virus and chest infection. Didn't even have my Xmas Dinner :(

Not pleasant but did result in a 12lb weight loss :T

It's given me a much needed kick up the bum to get my weight down and i've got the other 11lb by cutting out rubbish and eating 3 sensible meals a day.

Also cut out my lovely lovely Rose wine (well during the week anyway :p ) and I know thats helped.
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi all, I,m doing well on my challenge so far. Spent £7.45 so far, I,m living out of the freezer mostly. Retrieved a half shoulder of lamb from there and last night, made a lamb Jalfrezi, a casserole and boiled up the bones for soup stock. Had to nip down to asda for onion, red pepper and tomatoe puree but used a couple of MOCs, leaving me 17p to pay. I hope you all had a good time over the hols. teedy x
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • Well just been to mrTS and spent far to much and now im going to be VERY tight for the rest of the mth if i want to make budget!! I have just over £40 left but i think all i should need is fruit and veg!! Fingers crossed so i should just make target.........Which if i do i will be happy about as i have lowered it by £100 so will be saving lots - even if i did end up going a little over..... I have paid the milkman for the mth and have lots of meat and food for the freezer so lets hope ill be ok...

Everyone is doing well and well done miserly_mum on the weight loss!!

Also has anybody got any good ideas for including prunes, maybe in a cake or biscuits or something?? for my dd who has only just turned two? I have mixed them into her weetabix before and given her them to just eat but she isnt keen so wanted something i could kind of hide them in ;)
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Afternoon all

Another NSD for me today..Im still refusing to set foot out of the door this week :p

Hubby tootled off to work with sausage and bean casserole in his flask and some hm cobs
    I have just had leftover mased potato/swede with a bit of cheese on the top -zapped in the micro ... was lovely (im a serious carbohydrate junky;) )

Dinner tonight is pasta bake.. I have the roasted tomatoes n veggies defrosting - I still have enough from what I grew last year to last us for a few more weeks :j ...
    I usually use marscapone (when whoopsed) to make the sauce creamy... or goats cheese.. but today I will be using some philli that wants using up :D, will be doing both kinds of salami/chorizo and onion, mushrooms, peppers and peas -its one of hubbies faves -so I will make the leftover sauce runnier and add some tiny pasta shells to it then it will pour into hubbies flask tomorrow :T

Im soooo glad my hubby is easy to feed... he will eat whatever is put in front of him -and avoids shops/supermarkets like the plague -so no turning up with "mystery receipts" ;) . I have been told (since xmas) that when he does go with me into the "bad place" Im not to ask him if he wants anything(nuts, crisp etc) as he only eats them because they are there :confused: so IF he wants any he will pick them up out of his spending money :rotfl:-well I'm not going to argue am I :D

right thats me for now.. back off to my x stitch
    oh Mags I will go and move you over on the list ;)
    have a great day everyone :T
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family