PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    evening,

this weeks spends are round about the £25 mark, and that includes a snack i got in work!!

got a batch of twinks cooling and am planning to make thast lovely sounding teabread later this week.

hope you are all keeping warm!

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    just a quick question ... desicated coconut... what can i do with it?
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    BLeuuurrrrrrgghhhhhh throw it out?

just kidding, how about lamingtons ? macaroons?
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    evening,

this weeks spends are round about the £25 mark, and that includes a snakc i got in work!!

got a batch of twinks cooling and am planning to make thast lovely sounding teabread later this week.

hope you are all keeping warm!

ioiwe x

Sorry ioiwe, I am still fallling about laughing:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:I would put it down to me having one of my many senior moments (although I'm only 53) but I think I must need new glasses really. I thought you had got a SNAKE at work....so sorry:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: don't think it would have been as tasty as your snack.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    mrssnowy wrote: »
    Sistercas- barabrith is speckled bread,or Welsh teabread.
    Originally it was made by throwing a handful of dried fruit into the last lump of dough,so traditionally it should be made with yeast-however I have made it this way and it's not quite so nice as done with dried mixed fruit soaked in tea.
    Too dry made with yeast and didn't keep so well.
    Recipe below if you fancy a go.

Welsh teabread
    500gm dried mixed fruit and peel
    300ml strong hot tea
    250gm SR flour
    1 teaspoon mixed spice
    125gm dark brown muscovado sugar(lovely flavour/colour but can use white)
    1 egg forked to blend

Soak fruit and peel in a roomy bowl in the tea for at least 6 hrs or overnight.
    Sieve the flour and spice into the soaked friut(no need to drain),stir in the sugar and egg.Beat all together till smooth.
    Heat the oven to 150C(130C in fan oven)gas mark2.Line a loaf tin(2lb tin just right)with buttered paper and tip in the mixture.Bake for about 1&1/2 hours,when it should be well risen,firm and brown.Cool and store for at least two days,until rich and gluey,it needs a few days to develop its characteristic elasticity.Slice thinly and spread with butter.
    Freezes well so worth making a double batch.
    Also low fat -until you g*b butter on:o

mrss

thankyou so much I have bookmarked this and will definitley give it a go. it sounds delish x
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    elizabunny wrote: »
    orchid-96 I am exactly the same. I love popping into different shops just to see what's on offer. I really am struggling to stay under budget this month -my first in the challenge, but I have been batch cooking today and I also made some Pea and Ham soup with the Ham Stock left over from xmas and DH loved it. Also, I had a small rolled shoulder of lamb and lots of veggies in the slo-cooker for dinner today which was also yummy. I'm keeping the leftover juices from the dinner to hopefully make some lamb and lentil soup for later in the week. I haven't made this before so I hope it's not too disgusting:eek: . As for the NSD, I promised myself not to spend anything today, but we need more milk so...........:rotfl: Any excuse and co-op sometimes do have a few reduced bits later in the day.

Never mind the compulsion its a new up to date version of the consumption(totally different meaning of course)Hope you younguns know what Im on about :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    igiveup wrote: »
    I'd looked at mrssnowy's barabrith post today before I tried to bake a fruit teabread I'd not made for years !
    Got it all wrong quantity wise and it's too crumbly to slice or anything - I'm eating it in clumsy chunks with a cup of tea ! :o

It was meant to last me for work lunches etc ! Nobody else will touch it cos they don't like raisins etc.
    Oh well ... spose it wil still fill me up ! Was doing good too ! :rotfl:

I bet it would be nice in a dish warmed up with custard.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    lol eliza, i hadn't even noticed, i have this problem where my fingers go faster than my brain......

:D
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    !!

• save-a-holic
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    I'll be making banana muffins tomorrow to take to work and share on Monday. They're the easiest cake I've ever made, and they never go wrong (it's a Nigella recipe).

Hi CRANKY40 -don't suppose you could share the recipe, could you? ;)
    Lightbulb moment: -£9,954.31 Current Debt: £0

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    lol eliza, i hadn't even noticed, i have this problem where my fingers go faster than my brain......

:D

I know the feeling.... I'm constantly re-reading everything I write because I usually type a complete load of rubbish:rotfl: I could blame it on the dimly lit room because I'm trying to be economical with the electric, but to be truthful ... I don't think that would be the complete truth.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • LOUBOB
    LOUBOB Posts: 103 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done, pink princess!

Just been off to Google possible fillings for steamed dumplings and have found a japanese meal called a 'Bento' - has anyone ever tried making these? Wow! They look amazing but I wouldn't have the patience / time / artistic ability to make anything like the pictures in the link.

Hi
    I recently discoverd Bento, although mine are no way near elaborate, when I started this Grocery challenge I wanted something new and exciting to take to work for lunch instead of sarnies, or paying £3 for a jkt spud!! anyway I brought a really good Bento lunch box online( £4-5) as I thought it would be good for portion control (help kick start the wt loss), its FAB....two different lidded sections which I fill with rice/pasta/cold meat etc, then I use cheese, cherry toms to fill in the gaps, I also use sushi rice and add veg ie mushrooms, still learning but lots of pics on the net, although I dont sweat about it being all pictures and colour...just healthy looking!!!:D
    DFW 1108 Proud to be dealing with my debts

:love: 2014Is Going to be the Year...for love...:smileyhea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family