NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Water palaver

Poll Title: Poll Started 17 January 2006: Are you a water buyer or user? Where does your drinking water come from, do you buy it or turn it on? Which of these is the closest to your regular drinking water use?

A. Straight from the tap (via a glass of course)
B. Buy Evian/Highland Spring or another top brand
C. Buy savers/basics/cheapest bottled water
D. From the tap but through a water filter
E. I fill up a water bottle from work's filtered supply
F. Another system

Click reply to discuss or vote here.

Replies

• I usually drink tap water which I put through a Brita jug filter. If I'm out and my supply runs out, I'll get Tesco's sport cap one at 29p and then just fill up from tap (filtered when finished). If anyone knows of a good water bottle which doesn't taint the taste of the water after a period of time, with a secure top I'd really appreciate the tip. Thought about Siggs, tips appreciated. You can PM me rather than go off thread. Thanks.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Jay-Jay_4Jay-Jay_4 Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Tap for me, and sometimes an outside tap if I have to refill while I'm out :D

I used to buy bottled water (Co-op or Asda 5ltr) but it started to taste a bit yuck when I was preggers so I reverted to tap. Evian is truly horrible stuff.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• I picked up some one time when not near a Tesco, tasted yuk too, peaty, ground taste, bleeuch. Evian tastes kind of chalky, drank in France as it was cheapest there. Vittel isn't great tasting either. I filter tap water and chill it, I find it doesn't have kind of after taste once I do that.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • *Louise**Louise* Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    I stick water from the tap in a jug and put it in the fridge.

Luckily, we have lovely water up here in Scotland, tastes better than evian and the likes.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • bridiejbridiej Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    We have a constant supply of chilled tap water in our fridge, I cant understand why people continually pay for bottled water when you're already paying for the stuff out of the tap anyway... :confused:

Only time I buy water is if I've forgotten to bring a bottle from home with me, or I need some more!

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • FiferFifer Forumite
    59.4K Posts
    We keep a Boots filter jug of water in the fridge. OH fills bottles with it to take to work. I use the water cooler at work (unfiltered probably, but good local water). We ocassionally buy bottles of San Pellegrino to have with a meal as it is quite nice and our tap water isn't fizzy ...
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • Jay-Jay_4Jay-Jay_4 Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Fifer wrote:
    .............it is quite nice and our tap water isn't fizzy ...

:rotfl: really? How common!

We have Hot, Cold and Fizzy running water :D
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• spanditspandit Forumite
    150 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I guess I'd have to put "Another System", as households in North West Wales have to boil their tap water as it's not safe to drink straight from the tap. We have had to boil it since October, and we've been told (see here) that we need to keep boiling it until further notice.

Compensation? £25, and that's only when the boiling notice has been lifted! :mad:
    If you find my post helpful please press the THANKS button.
  • I was surprised to find out recently that drinking from water bottles made of certain plastics could damage your health.

If you refill these bottles, it turns out that chemicals from the plastic can leach into the water inside. For more information see:

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200311/lol5.asp
  • I'd be surprised if any Moneysavers had been taken in by one of the biggest cons of the modern age...when pondering this question just remember that Evian backwards spells 'naive'! :-)
    if i had known then what i know now
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals