CHEAPEST MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS/ADJUSTAMATIC

Options

Comments

• terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    ted, have you got this mattress or tried it yourself?
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    ted, have you got this mattress or tried it yourself?
    No I haven't got any need of one at the moment but in order to check that the website was up to date and the details still applied, I phoned the number and spoke to the guy there. Sounds perfectly straight guy to me and further details of the mattress are on the site. Next day delivery and they are in stock at the moment. (but "he would say that wouldn't he" I say before the cynics do http://img.moneysavingexpert.com/icons/icon12.gif )
    But it's not a personal recommendation. I just hate seeing people getting ripped off and I'm certain some of the prices being asked for these mattress's are unjustified.
    If I were buying one I'd buy from this source or maybe search Ebay (where this link came from I think) but as these prices are definite and next day delivery I think Ebay would have to be even cheaper to get my bid.
    Should point out this isn't either a personal recommendation or a referral.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • pmat
    pmat Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    thanks mate, i need two and i think i'll take the plunge
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    pmat wrote:
    thanks mate, i need two and i think i'll take the plunge
    Please report back whatever happens. It's as important to know the firm and the mattress are fine as they are not worth dealing with. Requests for memory foam prices/suppliers turn up here every few months and I don't want to use that link again if there are problems with it. However the prices look reasonable to me.

I have heard somwhere that they come very compressed and so take a while to expand to full size so maybe you won't be sleeping on it the first night after it arrives. However, it might be interesting to other readers if you add to your update on how quick delivery was, with a further update on whether you find them comfortable and worth the money.
  • Janis
    Janis Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I have had a memory foam topper for several months and would recommend it. There are different thicknesses as well as different densities of foam. The heavier you are the denser the foam should be. My sister, my daughter and I now all have 2 inch thick, higher density foam toppers and they are fab. I got them from a company called Raskelf (or something like that).

When looking for toppers I noted that their website and others didn't mention higher density foam. It was only when my sister phoned them to order one that this was mentioned. They were more expensive, but probably worth it as we are all quite heavy.

One thing we did notice was that the foam smells a bit odd and it might be worth airing it for a few days before using. They charge extra for covers but I bought cheap duvet covers from tesco economy range, only a couple of quid. The only problem you might encounter is that the extra few inches of foam means your fitted sheet doesnt fit on the corners properly. You might need to get flat sheets or more expensive fitted sheets designed for deeper mattresses.

They are also very warm when you lie on them and are very nice in winter. If you dont sleep well or wake up aching and you cant afford a new mattress or your old one isnt past it yet this is a good solution. I noticed from diagrams that new memory foam mattresses are not 6 to 8 inches thick memory foam anyway, but a few inches on top of whatever is in a normal mattress.

Go for it you wont regret it cos good sleep and good backs are worth a lot!
    richbitch
  • pmat
    Options
    hopefully i will let you know tomorrow. i ordered it on saturday and it will be here in the morning (sent today). £120 does seem very cheap tho', hope they are decent quality.
  • pmat
    Options
    I was amazed at the Miraflex Memory Foam Mattress. How the hell did they manage to fit it in that bag??? A true feat of engineering. Their claim of it being a 'memory' mattress is a little less glorious. A trained elephant couldn't dent this. To say it's firm is an understatement! I like firm mattress' but this is a little too firm unfortunately. Maybe in time it may start to 'give' a bit. If you suffer from back problems then this is undoubtedly a good buy but if you are after a nice, soft, comfortable mattress then avoid. BTW the quality is pretty good tho' and I still can't work out how they got it in the bag!!
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Well thanks for posting and sorry you're not thrilled.
    Bit difficult complaining as the advert does say Orthopaedic
    and this does imply that it will be firm. I'm sure though that it will have the right type of Visco Elastic Memory Foam clearly if it wasn't memory foam you would have some grounds for complaint. It's possible that you'll get used to it or maybe given a few more days it will soften up a bit more.

• pmat
    Options
    Hopefully ted.
    I realise that it said orthopedic but that word is often associated with mattress' of this construction. I just expected memory foam to have 'memory' as the adverts often show visually. I am not saying that the mattress' aren't worth the money because I think they are...it's just that I expected something slightly different that's all. There is almost no give in these mattress' at all and I weigh sixteen stone! They aren't uncomfortable, in fact I like a firm bed but I just bought into the whole 'wonder' of the 'revolutionary' memory foam!
    Will we ever learn??
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    I think the memory is demonstrated in the fact that it could be compressed into a little plastic bag and as soon as you released it it remembered it was supposed to be a mattress rather than a roll and promptly reassembled itself into it's proper size.

Similarly it will, given your body heat and weight, accommodate to fit your shape during the night but when you get up, return back to a flat mattress again.
    Perhaps if mrs pmat posted back in a week or so it would be interesting to hear if it was easier sleep beside a weighty person on this type of mattress and whether you found that you were less restless and woke up more alert and were in fact, despite your reservations about the immediate impression of firmness, both actually sleeping better.
    But I'm relieved the company supplying it, did as they said and didn't disappoint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family