No Money For presents For The Kids

Options
To Be Honest I dont even have money for food and bills but am more worried about getting presents for my neice's and nephews. My family have told me its ok dont worry but i feel very bad and sad about not being able to get them presents.

was giving 4 weeks social benefits for incapacity today. must be 4 weeks instead of 2 since since its xmas? anyway and the bank took the lot for charges. i told the social last week and they said it was too late to put the money to a new bank account as it was already put through or something. i said can i apply for a crisis loan then and they said ok which i did. today got my application turned down.

said something about even though i told them today the whole lot will be taken on bank charges, they didnt see this as a crisis on my behalf and couldnt give me. Even though i told them i needed money for food, gas and electric. (am not 100% sure if that was all that was said cos i just went depressed after the first couple of words of rejected were said) i also said i have no relatives i can rely on for money.

So basicly they are gonna make me go without food, gas, electric for a whole 4 weeks? I honestly dont have money cos of the bank charges which i keep getting and its unreal. am away to fone up and apply for the fas finanacial harhip from the bank but it doesnt help things right at this moment.

Comments

• JF77
    JF77 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Sorry to hear about your situation. Have you tried posting this in the Debt Free Wannabe Board where there should be lot's of people happy to give advice.

I am not sure what to suggest but what I would say is don't worry about buying presents. How about taking the kid's to the park for an hour or so instead giving the parents some valuable time.
    Excited for Florida - May 2012 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you spoken to your bank at all? You could contact them and explain the situation and see if you can come to an arrangement about the bank charges. You could get help with this from Citizens Advice or another benefits help advisor in your area.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • barbie_babe
    Options
    I didnt think bank could take charges out of benfit money. I am not 100 % sure about this. I hope someone can answer this for us. I think your only way forward maybe ring bank and tell them that they have taken all your money you need to live on. Ask them if you can have a overdraft to help you untill next pay day.
    Reguarding the christmas presents for the children i wouldnt worry maybe give them some vouchers for each month if you live near by to do something with them each month. Baking day one month,park another month,art month,cinema month i am sure you can think of loads more.
    :j
  • sandiep
    sandiep Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Most banks will reduce or eliminate bank charges if you ask. So firstly, go an ask. Partic if the charges all relate to the same day/period (i.e. three or four transaction charges which all relate to payments refused on the same day).
  • sandiep
    sandiep Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Re Presents.

There will be loads of stuff in your house that the kids probably want. For example, one of my girls is getting my old digital camera for Christmas, because I know she really wants one, and I also know that as she's 6 years old I'm not splashing out on a new one. I've found a case for it, and it will be under the Christmas tree, and she'll love it.

Keep an eye out of Freecycle, lots of people are giving away very good items just becuase they know that they've got new coming for Christmas.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fran wrote: »
    Have you spoken to your bank at all? You could contact them and explain the situation and see if you can come to an arrangement about the bank charges. You could get help with this from Citizens Advice or another benefits help advisor in your area.

to be honest i havent told them cos with my old bank they didnt seem intrested even though i told them i was on incapacity benefits. ill ring my bank and see what can be done. thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know its too late and of NO comfort now,but I would advise anyone on benefits who has little money to open a basic bank account(i.e.one that allows no overdraft etc)into which benefits can be paid
    As for the presents I really wouldnt worry about that.
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    anyway and the bank took the lot for charges

What did you owe? Were you overdrawn?

Bozo
  • mouseymousey99
    Options
    I'm sure you dont need me to say this but really the best thing you can buy is a cheap notebook and a calculator. Don't get into this position again! I've been there so I'm not having a go - I'm tying to help....as others have said contact the bank and explain. (Mine put the charges aside I was amazed)..but for the new year make a resolution and start helping yourself..At the end of the day, Christmas is 24 hours, thats all
    best wishes
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    I didnt think bank could take charges out of benfit money. I am not 100 % sure about this. I hope someone can answer this for us. quote]

This question regulalrly recurs-there have been 2 very long threads on the subject this month and the answer was that they CAN take the money to cover charges. Best thing is to have the money put into a different account. As others have said many banks will waive charges if they are aware of the situation and you offer them some sort of repayment plan for what you owe them.
    You shouldn't be worrying about presents for children who will prbably have far too many presents anyway! I am more concerned about you and how you will manage.
    Do you attend a Church? Even if not many of them offer money/clothes/food parcels at this time of year.Also look in your local paper for the adverts for the free Christmas dinners-usually in Community centres and Church halls. I know of 4 in our area this week.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure