Successful PPI Claim - now a problem!!!

I dont know if i have put this in the correct place as i am new to posting but here is my question?

My partner and i used templates on this site to claim back PPI from the Halifax. The claim was successful (thanks MSE) and we received a letter stating that the money would be paid into the account within 4-5 weeks.

When we checked the account a couple of days later we realised the money had been there for a week, withdrew it and put it with another bank (no problem so far).

Now, 4 weeks later they credit the account with the exact same amount of money. My partner went into the bank to ask where it came from and they said it is a CASH transaction, he told them the circumstances and the cashier said 'spend it, if they want it back make a payment plan'. It has been been sat there for 2 weeks and they have not yet took it back. If we dont spend the money and leave it there, is it likely they will take it back? Where do we stand if we take out the money like the cashier advised?

Advice please (legal not moral)

Comments

• I would leave it there and not touch it. If you can stomach it I would call the PPI people of whoever you claimed it back from to advise them of the error.

Good luck, and dont spend it you will only have to pay it back if it is a mistake.
    Debt free 3 years early :j
    Savings for house deposit - very healthy

Cash back earnt so far £14.57
  • It must be so tempting seeing it just sitting there, but I would just leave it for a while, it makes your balance look better if nothing else. If they haven't spotted the error in say 6 months, (they should have been audited by then), take it out and put it in another bank.

For the nervous reader .....when the road tax decreased for smaller cars some time ago I got a refund by cheque twice for the same car.... I banked the cheque (unwittingly at first) and then thought this is a Government department, they are sure to spot it, thoughts of fraud, court and even prison crossed my mind. Result.... no letter, no reclaim, absolutely nothing and for me twelve months free road tax. A big fat Ha! :T
  • It must be so tempting seeing it just sitting there, but I would just leave it for a while, it makes your balance look better if nothing else. If they haven't spotted the error in say 6 months, (they should have been audited by then), take it out and put it in another bank. That would be still be classed as THEFT. They knew it wasn't theirs so advising them of the error is the right thing to do quoting any reference numbers that they already have.

For the nervous reader .....when the road tax decreased for smaller cars some time ago I got a refund by cheque twice for the same car.... I banked the cheque (unwittingly at first) and then thought this is a Government department, they are sure to spot it, thoughts of fraud, court and even prison crossed my mind. Result.... no letter, no reclaim, absolutely nothing and for me twelve months free road tax. A big fat Ha! :T

Never assume one thing that may have happened to you will work for another situation.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family